Port infection symptoms . Please please help

sheriberi29
on 12/21/15 5:11 pm - Cleveland, TN

as I sit here tonight in tears , knowing something is not right with my band and feeling like it's getting worse, I'm asking for help ... I've scoured the Internet looking for a list of signs or symptoms of a port infection. Since my barium swallow showed normal band placement , my dr just said no erosion , nothing wrong and to call if I decide I want a fill . 

My port site is much much bigger than normal only it's not hot, it does hurt and the pain sometimes goes down to my belly button with a burning sensation . I have a swollen upper abdomen that I have never had before . I've gained 35-40 lbs over the last year , some days no restriction and some days I can't keep anything down . 

My symptoms are getting worse and I feel like I can't get anyone to listen to me. I specifically asked the dr to do a scope and actually go down there to look for an erosion . His reply was I needed to go to a seminar about revision.... I'm all for sitting In a seminar and all for a revision if needed , however I feel like something is wrong In there NOW , and I just doNt want to die of erosion or infection. I feel like Screaming !!

Hislady
on 12/21/15 6:44 pm - Vancouver, WA

Well you could try going to the ER but often they just give you something for pain and send you back to your band doc. You may have to just get tuff with your band doc and tell him to take it out or send you to someone who will.

cmcelfish
on 12/22/15 5:04 am

How long have you had your band? I have had my band five years plus  my band doctor stopped seeing patients. I went to my present doctor who said to have a revision to a sleeve. My doc said many ban patients are having surgery between 3-5 years bands in UK Re disappeared. I have a burning pulling pain around my port

I have never felt full I will be glad the day it is gone my biggest mistake. Maybe your doctor is fight to be considering a revision. I have an infection in my hip

From hip replacement surgery 3 1\2 years ago. I am taking antibiotics all this time I have to check my temperture a few times a day vhick my insision site

For hot spots regular blood test to check for active infection at this time it's stabel. If you really feel something is wrong see another doctor I myself would not go to an ER most of the time you won't get a doctor with knowledge of WLS they will refers you back to your doctor. They are finding the band was not such a good device. I am waiting for jan8 when I have my egd to see if I have decision that could change what surgery I have.I have killer nausea each and every morning sometimes at night I fear maybe my band is in trouble.  Good Luck k did not want such a long post

sheriberi29
on 12/22/15 5:18 am - Cleveland, TN

I've had it since 2009 so almost 7 years

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 12/22/15 6:16 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

I came into this forum to start looking at revision - I am still in the post-WLS honeymoon phase, but I can tell that mastering this long-term will be difficult. So I am checking out my options, hoping that I never need anymore surgery.  So, my question is from a person who has researched a bunch but only has 1 year of first-hand experience with RNY.

How long do you expect to keep the LapBand?  I don't think many people see it as a longterm fix and many people no longer have much benefit after 5 years.  From what I have read, you have had excellent/better than average results with the band so far, except for the current issues.  Are you considering doing a WLS?

Sharon

sheriberi29
on 12/22/15 7:13 am - Cleveland, TN

I fully expect , hope, and was told that it was for life, however after these issues I'm beginning to wonder as I see so many other veterans speaking up about the average of 10 years for band . My dr refuses to place them anymore 

ladygodiva1228
on 12/22/15 6:10 am, edited 12/21/15 10:11 pm - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

I am willing to bet that you have extensive scar tissue that has grown around your port, tubing, and band.  I say this because that is what ended up being my issue. 

My port was on the left side and after several years it became hard and ached all the time.  It was never infected, but at the time of my revision surgery it was inflamed as was the scar tissue around my band.  Then the pain started to radiate to my breastbone and left shoulder. 

I had a barium swallow  and endoscopy done. There was no sign of erosion or slippage, but something was just not right. 

After fighting with Cigna I finally got my revision to the bypass in February.  My surgeon said it took an hour to chisel my band out as there was so much scar tissue.  

There were days I also had restriction and then nothing, and I had an empty band. 

The only problem with scar tissue is that you can't see it well on the tests they do.  They would have to go in to see the issues. 

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

sheriberi29
on 12/22/15 7:10 am - Cleveland, TN

Thank you for your insight

nattieb
on 12/25/15 3:04 am

Have you had your gallbladder removed? I had those pains with my gallbladder - long shot just checking...Hoping you get relief and feel good!

sheriberi29
on 12/25/15 3:26 pm - Cleveland, TN

That's s thought . I still have my gallbladder . I believe that may be the problem . Did your band dr remove yours ?

Most Active