Apollo revision with over-stitch five yrs out

wanttobthin
on 12/15/15 5:16 am

I am reaching out to those who had the RNY surgery, had gained weight(stoma stretched) and then had the apollo revision surgery to loose the regain.

1. Did you find that the revision gave you more restriction? (full feeling that would last)
  2. Did you loose the weight you had regained?
  3. How long did it take you to recover from surgery?
  4. How long did you have the full feeling after you ate?

I am 5 yrs out from RYN surgery (AUG 2010 was my surgery date).  I have gained 47 lbs in the last 2 yrs.  Yes, some old habits have creeped back in.  Have an appointment in Jan to see if my stoma has stretched.  It seems I am hungry every 2 hrs which really sucks.  I need to go back to the basics and start again.  I started at 290.  Lost 150 lbs now I am at 188.6.  My lowest weight was 140.  I would like to get back to my lowest weight if possible.  Any words of encouragement and if you share you experience with the revision are appreciated.

cher22
on 12/16/15 12:57 pm - Oak Park, IL

Hi 

I had Gastric 2005 my lowest wast 130 but i am happy at 140 . 

From 2009 till a month ago I went back up to 180 ugh hard to type that . 

So i decided to look into a revision and came across the Apollo 

On Oct 27 I had the Apollo Over stitch 

I was on a clear liquid diet 5 days prior and I lost a few lbs. 

Then 2weeks after clear liquid as well 

My weight loss is stuck at 168 lbs 

Directly after surgery I felt a huge lump in my throat and had no appetite 

This is My Experience 

I do not feel a restriction as I had wished for as i did after the RNY !

I feel that I can eat just a bit less than i did prior to the Apollo , However I am not as hungry as often as i use to be.

I do have more energy than i did before the Apollo So this is a good feeling ! 

Hope i have helped , 

Again this is my experience ,Everyone is different 

Bottom line I just wish i had that full feeling that I had with the original Gastric RNY 

Peaceful Day To You 

wanttobthin
on 12/16/15 3:59 pm

Thank you for your reply.  It gives me an idea of what to expect if I find out that I do need a revision.  I meet with the Dr. in January and hoping he will do a scope to find out if my stoma has stretched.  Then decide about the revision from there.

molanca
on 12/25/15 5:56 pm

Dear Wantobthin,

I had the RNY done about 15-16 years ago and lost about 150 lbs. I regained 100 lbs. much to my dismay. My stoma was still extremely tight but my pouch was stretched. I had the Apollo Overstitch done on 11/16. I had the surgery on a Monday and went back to work the next day. I felt no pain and only had a fat lip from the endoscopy tube to show for it. I've lost about 35 lbs. but I have been on a liquid diet for almost 2 months now so I can't say the weight loss is strictly from the surgery. I was told that scar tissue has to develop around the folds and sutures that the surgery created so I elected to extend my liquid phase. My doctor's office originally required that I stay on liquids for one month. I noticed from reading the message boards that the WLS patients who started on phase 2 after 2 weeks on the liquid phase weren't as successful as those who were on liquids for 2 months.

I do feel a great deal of restriction. I went to two parties on Christmas Eve and "treated" myself to actually eating food. At the first party I ate one vegan meatball, a tablespoon of au gratin potatoes and 2 brussel sprouts. I didn't feel any restriction. However, at the 2nd party I ate more traditional holiday food (dressing, mac 'n cheese, and some green beans). I had a couple of tablespoons of each. This was a VERY bad idea. It took a little while but I felt a great deal of restriction that lasted for hours. I was really uncomfortable and regretted eating the 2nd time around even though it was 2-3 hours apart.

I'm back on liquids today and feel much better. My next office visit is 1/20/16 and I hope to be at or around 200 lbs. (Onewonderland). I had planned on starting on soft, mushy foods then. However, my mantra is nothing tastes as good as thin feels. With that being said I am seriously contemplating continuing on liquids until I drop down to 175 which would be another 6 weeks on liquids (?). This would leave me with only 25 more lbs. to lose. I could then transition back over to solids. IDK. I would have to check with my doctor's office to see if this would even be healthy to do.

I would strongly encourage you to have the procedure instead of letting it get out of control like I did. The Apollo is relatively new and I wish they had had it back when I initially started to regain.

Please keep on posting. I am eager to hear about your continued weight loss journey!!

Gavin B.
on 4/9/17 6:40 am - Orlando, FL

Wantobthin,

I really needed to read this. How are you doing? I am considering Apollo. What insurance do you have?

Gavin B.
on 4/9/17 6:41 am - Orlando, FL

I meant molanca ;-)

Most Active