Rny "shave" surgery revision?

DUTCHINDOGIRL9
on 12/9/15 1:54 pm

Hi Y'all!

I just came back from my Bariatric seminar with USC. The doctor I have made an appt with told me they do a "shave" procedure of the original bypass to make the pouch small again. I was told they have "outlawed" the DS procedure in their clinic. I am really sad because I have so many great things about the DS. I don't want to go through surgery again to only get minimal results.

Any thoughts or experiences would be helpful.

Zee Starrlite
on 12/9/15 5:47 pm

Wow, "outlawed the DS"!  Who are these surgeon's and what is the "shave"procedure?

Good luck with everything!  Think about going elsewhere

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

DUTCHINDOGIRL9
on 12/10/15 10:35 am

The shave procedure is stapling the pouch back to it's original size. I asked the surgeon about long term results of this procedure and she said there are none as there is not enough data yet. I was like, WTHeck?! The weight loss after this is really slow and very minimal. So put myself under the knife for that?

I am thinking of asking for a second opinion to see a DS surgeon but not sure what my insurance will approve. I just don't know where to? Dr. Keshishian who does it in my area charges a $3000.00 "program fee", cash up front. That's too much for me.

This is so crazy, it's like we are guinea pigs.

Whit
on 12/10/15 9:08 pm
Revision on 12/10/12

Dr Keshishian revised y RNY to DS exactly 3 years ago today. He saved my life. I feel the program fee is totally worth it. Your life is worth more then 4K. Take out a loan. Get a credit card. Save money. Have a Garage sale, get another job.  Make it happen you can do it. You are worth it.

You do not have to have surgery a Dr preforms as it may not be the best option for you. You are not an animal.

Good luck. 

Revision from RNY to DS 12/10/12 Dr. Ara Kesishian BMI: 19

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

hollykim
on 12/9/15 5:58 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On December 9, 2015 at 9:54 PM Pacific Time, DUTCHINDOGIRL9 wrote:

Hi Y'all!

I just came back from my Bariatric seminar with USC. The doctor I have made an appt with told me they do a "shave" procedure of the original bypass to make the pouch small again. I was told they have "outlawed" the DS procedure in their clinic. I am really sad because I have so many great things about the DS. I don't want to go through surgery again to only get minimal results.

Any thoughts or experiences would be helpful.

the DS is a more legitimate  procedure than some " shave " procedure,that is not even standard practice. 

They have likely outlawed the DS because jones them are good enough surgeons to do it correctly. 

I would run far and fast and find someone who knows what they are doing.

Hislady
on 12/9/15 10:04 pm - Vancouver, WA

Run far and fast from this bunch! There are still many surgeons who do the DS which is the best surgery for long time success with weight loss. I've not heard or read anything about a shave process and it sounds pretty hoakie to me. I don't see how anything like that could help you lose. I would most definitely look for another surgical group, these guys sound very off to say the least!

MsBatt
on 12/10/15 6:51 pm

Then find yourself a different surgeon. The DS has the very BEST long-term, maintained weight-loss stats, ANd the best stats for resolving or preventing co-morbs like diabetes and high cholesterol.

Tomorrow I'll be 12 years out from my DS, and I'm still totally "in love" with it. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

hipswishingvinegarball
on 12/12/15 3:39 am

I would never go to a lying surgeon. Period. Especially one that is selling an unknown "shaving" that no one has heard of, and therefor has no track record. 

Not hard to figure out why they tell the lies they do. Whatever it takes to keep a paying customer from going out the door to find something better.

(deactivated member)
on 12/13/15 10:58 am

Was your consult with Dr. Kathkouda?

Most Active