Gastric Bypass Revision Question

Lissa227
on 11/28/15 6:55 am - Garner, NC

I had gastric bypass in 2005 and lost 163lbs. I keep it off for over 8 years but Between pregnancy, injuries & medication I have gained back in the last year roughly 80. I'm looking at revision of my gastric bypass but would like some insight into the weight loss, your experiences, etc. How much weight can I expect to lose, does it come off as fast, what are the long term outcomes etc. Hoping to see that I get this weight off & that will also help with my injuries so I can exercise again

Laura in Texas
on 11/28/15 10:22 am

Have you had your pouch checked by your surgeon? Is something structurally wrong with it or your stoma? If not, have you tried dealing with the reasons you overeat? Do you see a therapist? Or nutritionist? I suggest you track your food and work on making better choices. As you have learned, surgery is not magic. A second surgery would not necessarily work, either.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Laura in Texas
on 11/28/15 6:07 pm

If your surgeon believes a revision is necessary, I would research RNY to DS revisions. 

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

AlwaysSmiling
on 11/28/15 9:23 pm - Glen Burnie, MD

I seriously cannot stand when people don't answer the question. I just had revision and your doctor is not just going to let you prance in the office and say "oh give me a revision" I think you are well aware of that. I also believe you are probably also aware of what brought you to this point or you wouldn't be seeking a revision. With that said....I just had a rny revision. I was told that I should lose about a 100 pounds as long as a comply with the program. I was also told that this was kinda it, so if this does not work we are out of ideas. Good luck to you!

Renee

One step closer to happiness!!!
http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w005BdW/">
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/w005BdW/weight.png">>

Lissa227
on 11/29/15 12:55 pm - Garner, NC

Thank You! Yes, like you, I do know what brought me here; I told my surgeon I need to revise the tool so I can optimize the outcome I want. I know what I need to do I need the help. I appreciate your honesty!! Good luck to you 

DUTCHINDOGIRL9
on 12/9/15 3:55 pm

Which revision surgery did you have?

AlwaysSmiling
on 12/11/15 8:23 am - Glen Burnie, MD

I was a rny and my doctor went in and made my pouch significantly smaller instead of 4 ounces it is only 2 ounces now....I had revision on Nov 23 and since I have lost 24 pounds in 3 weeks.  I can feel the restriction again which love! I am in a totally different frame of mind now. It is very strange.

Renee

One step closer to happiness!!!
http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w005BdW/">
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/w005BdW/weight.png">>

Sharon H.
on 1/18/16 8:33 am

I am seeking a revision as well and have an rny.  Did you just have your pouch tightened?

MsBatt
on 11/29/15 10:54 am

It really depends a LOT of what sort of revision you get. Most of the so-called stoma-reducing revisions have VERY poor weight-loss stats. The more effective revision is converting your RNY to a Duodenal Switch, but this is the most complicated revision out there, and only a handful of surgeons offer it. All of the people I know who've had an RNY-to-DS revision have been very happy with it.

MrsIzzy
on 11/29/15 4:24 pm - Toms River, NJ
Revision on 07/01/15

I had RNY in 2007, lost 130lbs from that procedure but gained the weight back slowly over time even though I couldn't eat very much. I never understood why.  I moved to New Jersey in 2012 and weighed 260lbs and just hated myself,  so finally after research I found a doctor who did revisions, very few doctors do them. My surgeon did several tests on me and found my pouch was made too big causing me to loose weight then be able to gain it back. I went through a very rigorous process to get approved but finally had my revision surgery RNY to Duodenal Switch in July 2015. Surgery weight was 252, my current weight is 165! I've had a few issues like nausea, and a stricture but mu surgeon was able to fix the stricture quickly with an edg and the nausea I take Zofran for when needed. I also had a kidney stone a month after surgery.  I feel so much better and would do this over again in a heartbeat! My surgeon is expecting me to get to my goal weight of 140lbs. The weight came off.slowly in the beginning but I watch what I eat and my portion sizes and I'm right on track.I had RNY in 2007, lost 130lbs from that procedure but gained the weight back slowly over time even though I couldn't eat very much. I never understood why.  I moved to New Jersey in 2012 and weighed 260lbs and just hated myself,  so finally after research I found a doctor who did revisions, very few doctors do them. My surgeon did several tests on me and found my pouch was made too big causing me to loose weight then be able to gain it back. I went through a very rigorous process to get approved but finally had my revision surgery RNY to Duodenal Switch in July 2015. Surgery weight was 252, my current weight is 165! I've had a few issues like nausea, and a stricture but mu surgeon was able to fix the stricture quickly with an edg and the nausea I take Zofran for when needed. I also had a kidney stone a month after surgery.  I feel so much better and would do this over again in a heartbeat! My surgeon is expecting me to get to my goal weight of 140lbs. The weight came off.slowly in the beginning but I watch what I eat and my portion sizes and I'm right on track.I had RNY in 2007, lost 130lbs from that procedure but gained the weight back slowly over time even though I couldn't eat very much. I never understood why.  I moved to New Jersey in 2012 and weighed 260lbs and just hated myself,  so finally after research I found a doctor who did revisions, very few doctors do them. My surgeon did several tests on me and found my pouch was made too big causing me to loose weight then be able to gain it back. I went through a very rigorous process to get approved but finally had my revision surgery RNY to Duodenal Switch in July 2015. Surgery weight was 252, my current weight is 165! I've had a few issues like nausea, and a stricture but mu surgeon was able to fix the stricture quickly with an edg and the nausea I take Zofran for when needed. I also had a kidney stone a month after surgery.  I feel so much better and would do this over again in a heartbeat! My surgeon is expecting me to get to my goal weight of 140lbs. The weight came off.slowly in the beginning but I watch what I eat and my portion sizes and I'm right on track.I had RNY in 2007, lost 130lbs from that procedure but gained the weight back slowly over time even though I couldn't eat very much. I never understood why.  I moved to New Jersey in 2012 and weighed 260lbs and just hated myself,  so finally after research I found a doctor who did revisions, very few doctors do them. My surgeon did several tests on me and found my pouch was made too big causing me to loose weight then be able to gain it back. I went through a very rigorous process to get approved but finally had my revision surgery RNY to Duodenal Switch in July 2015. Surgery weight was 252, my current weight is 165! I've had a few issues like nausea, and a stricture but mu surgeon was able to fix the stricture quickly with an edg and the nausea I take Zofran for when needed. I also had a kidney stone a month after surgery.  I feel so much better and would do this over again in a heartbeat! My surgeon is expecting me to get to my goal weight of 140lbs. The weight came off.slowly in the beginning but I watch what I eat and my portion sizes and I'm right on track.

Most Active