So many questions

slvilla
on 10/29/15 4:44 pm

I'll try to make this quick and clear.

I had VSG in May 2010. I lost about 75 pounds. Saw 195 for a little while. I was happy though. Fast forward to now and I have gained 75 pounds back. I was diagnosed with PCOS this year and honestly life got the best of me the past 3 years, my daughter passed away and my father passed away.

I was sleeved at the Navy hospital in San Diego. I did not have to deal with insurance at all since it was a military facility. I saw my surgeon earlier this year and he said i'm outta luck surgery revision wise. Recommended I try phentermine(no thanks). The other surgeon there seemed like he would entertain the idea of a second surgery but since my original surgeon was still there, 2nd surgeon didn't want to step on toes.

I'm still struggling.

1. What is the apollo overstitch and is it only for rny?
  2. Do I even bother going to the naval hospital again to see if the other surgeon will talk to me?
  3. Should I just switch to standard and go to an outside surgeon?
  4. What do I say to that surgeon?
  5. What are my options for revision?

I know its a lot and I hope for any kind of answers.

Thank you

Eileen O.
on 10/30/15 5:38 am - Blackwood Terrace, NJ

hi my namei eileen and Im actually in the hospital just having had the VSG to RnY revision. I had my VSG in Nov 2008, lost 170 in 18 months and than also had series if financial, emotional & physical situations slam me and over the last 5 yrs gained 90lbs back. I was so depressed and needed to do somethng. My surgeon had me try diet which I failed at miserably so he then suggested a revision from VSG to RnY.

So here I am at the a new beginning, honestly I'm a little scared. Pain is tolerable, not unlikethe beginning recoup of VSG but I have that small voice in my head that says you already failed at WLS what do you think this is going to do? Yet the bottom line is I need to get this weight off so I'm going to give my all.

I would go and fight for what you want! I'm here for you.....trudging the road before you. My home email is [email protected] put ObestyHelp partner in subject and I'll find you.

Good Luck & God bless,

Eileen

Powerful Women's Motto : Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders & says, "Oh Noooooo....SHE's awake!!"
Felicity Q.
on 10/30/15 4:20 pm
DS on 09/28/15

Hi there!

I can answer some of your questions, and give my opinion! :)

1- The Apollo Overstitch is for RNY patients and is thought to reduce their pouch size. Since you have a sleeve, this would not be for you.

4- When visiting a surgeon (old or new) I would tell him or her what issues you have been having and what your goals are. Ask if they would consider a revision surgery. Some may not and instead direct you to go 'back to basics' with diet and exercise because you technically have a WLS already that could still work for you.

5- I personally would recommend you research the Duodenal Switch (DS). You already have a sleeved stomach, (nothing would change for YOU in that regard), so a revision surgery would involve some re-routing of your intestines that will make you absorb only about 20% of fats you eat, 60% of protein you eat, and 80% of complex carbs (You will still absorb 100% of simple carbs - which you should stay away from with any weight loss surgery!). You will need to be on a vitamin regimen for life (as you would with the RNY). Just MY opinion, as a biased DS person myself. :)

Lap-Band 2011 | DS Revision 9/28/15 | HW: 380 in 2011 | GW: 140

Blog: http://felicitywls.blogspot.com/ | Twitter: @FelicityQ13

Most Active