Advice Needed please RNY looking for revision - CT

failure
on 9/18/15 4:49 am

I had an RNY gastric bypass in 2001 and gained all of my weight back.  I admit most of it was poor diet, but I have had health issues which have paid a large role.  Now I am pre diabetic with back pain, fibromyalgia, and at my highest weight yet.  I went to my surgeon asking for a revision and he  said there was nothing that could be done.  I went to another in my area and he said he would not help me since my surgeon was a skilled surgeon. I need to get this weight off.  If I had another surgical option to lose another 100 lbs I would wire my jaw shut. (not literally but I am desperate)

Can anyone tell me if I have any options?  If so, how do I research them for my area?  I am in CT and I have Medicare and Medicaid.  Thank you in advance. 

ladygodiva1228
on 9/18/15 5:38 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

Did your surgeon check your pouch and stoma for any issues? 

If those are good I would make a serious effort to go back to the basics.  Dense protein first.  Limited carbs and sugars.  Drink plenty of water.  I know it is not easy, but it may be your only chance if you can not get a revision.

Know that not all insurances will cover a revision.

Not sure what part of CT you are in, but my surgeon is in RI and he may be able to help.

Some people have had RNY revision and some have revised from the RNY to the DS.  That is a very serious revision and there are not many surgeons who perform it here in the US. 

Best of luck to you.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

Butterfli2005
on 9/18/15 9:44 am

I had a distal revision back in the end of July. I have lost 37 lbs so far.. The loss is slower but is there.. I had less complications than you do so I would keep plugging at it.  
There is a FB site for people looking for and / or post op from revision surgery from RNY to Distal RNY if you are interested. Search for the Distal Bypass support group. Maybe they can at least give you some ideas. Either way, there ARE successful options out there. You just need to find someone willing and experienced in doing the revision. 

failure
on 9/18/15 11:32 am

Thank you for your reply

Chickenboob
on 9/19/15 12:27 pm - Rockland, Canada

Congrats for getting on here an posting. That took so much courage and I admire you for it. I am in kind of the same boat. I didn't gain all of my weight back, but I gained a fair chunk. I also have fibro and it is a nightmare. I got back on track for quite a while before I started posting here. I had lost weight in ages. White Dove suggested I try the atkins induction. I did about 2 weeks ago and I have to say I feel much, much better and I even have started losing. While you are working on getting a revision, why not start back on the path to health. I also wanted a revision, but I can't get one because I am too healthy, so I don't have any medical reasons to get one. For me, it's only eating right and exercise that will get me where I want to be. I have found my fibro symptoms have improved, my skin looks better and I don't feel as draggy and out of it. I had been following the nutritionist's advice and that was what caused the problem. But I am finding atkins easy and I know eventually I will be able to add carbs back in.

I really wish you all the best, keep us posted.

big hug,

K.

RNY 2011/07/26 HW 338; SW 301; LW 199; Starting over weight 255; CW 212; GOAL #1 lose regain back to 199 lbs!

Laura in Texas
on 9/19/15 1:52 pm

Unless you are working through your issues that led to your regain, you will not be successful even if you do have a revision. Surgery is not magic. I hope you are working with a therapist. 

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

failure
on 9/19/15 4:35 pm

Yes I did not mention that I have been working with a therapist for years as well as a psychiatrist for mental health issues. 

Laura in Texas
on 9/19/15 1:58 pm

RNY to DS would be your best surgical option but there are only a handful of surgeons *****ally know how to do it correctly so you would most likely need to travel. Ask on the DS boards.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

ShebasMom
on 9/19/15 6:15 pm
Revision on 07/05/16

Here is the list of experienced rny to DS surgeons:

Dr. Keshishian, located in California

Dr. Rabkin, located in California

Dr. Simper, located in Utah

Dr. Elariny, located in Virginia

Dr. Roslin, located in New York

Dr. Buchwald, located in Minnesota

Dr. Greenbaum, located in New Jersey. (best self pay cost in US) but PICKY about his revisions.

Dr. Stephen Boyce Knoxville, TN

Dr. Ayoola, located in Frisco and Denton, TX

tysweetpea
on 9/27/15 8:48 pm - NEWMAN, CA

OH Wow...this is exactly what I am going through.  I had RNY in 2001...had baby in 2005 and found out I had Ankylosing Spondylitits and Fibromyalgia, among other illness.  I gain about 100 back.  My surgeon would not do anything either.  All of my issue are coming back enlarged liver, pain from illness is still there...bp high, sleep apnea and I am also have state plan for insurance.  Im in Cali though and I am having a hard time getting help.  I gotta find another dr to help.  I would like to keep in touch to see both of our progress for help.

Make yourself familiar with the angels and behold them frequently in spirit; for without being seen,they are present with you.
~ St. Francis De Sales

Most Active