sleeve revision because of GERD anyone?

(deactivated member)
on 8/30/15 9:33 am
RNY on 05/04/15

If it makes you feel better, my husband had his VSG 2 weeks after my RNY, and our recoveries were identical. Manageable pain, no nausea for either of us, and neither of us has found any foods we can't tolerate (although I've intentionally not had bread since). I actually had a little less pain than he did because with the VSG, there's one really "stretched" incision that they pull the stomach through, while with the RNY they just get in and get out without actually removing anything. There's no way to even tell we had different procedures except that I need to take more calcium than he does (but that's mainly because I'm female).

I had the same concerns about a "more invasive" procedure when I had to change course, but the more I learned, the more I realized the risks aren't greater with the RNY, they're just different. You have intestinal re-routing and a stoma, but a much shorter staple line and lower risk of leaks. You might have more gas, but a lower chance of nausea. You wind up with a remnant stomach that can't be easily scoped in the case of an ulcer, but you keep all of your stomach "pieces" in the unlikely event it has to be reversed for some reason. In the end, I came to terms with a more invasive procedure by losing 80 lbs pre-op to get myself as low-risk as possible. My husband and I are both completely confident that we each chose the right procedures for us.  

tracik3
on 8/30/15 11:50 am

That is great that y'alls surgeries went good!  And fantastic about losing the 80lbs!!  Right now I would be happy with about 20 pounds just so I could get into some of my clothes! I'm down to one pair of shorts about about 5 shirts that fit me! UGH

I'm not really worried about the healing part of the surgery.  Its the after part I read so many other things that happen after even years down the road with rny and not nearly as many with the sleeve.  Right now I'm relatively healthy beside the GERD and high blood pressure.  And I have never had surgery beside dental.  I don't want to trade being fat for health issues because of surgery. 

(deactivated member)
on 8/30/15 5:01 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

On the bright side, at least that means you'll have lots of opportunity to shop in your own closet down the line!

I completely understand your hesitancy. I weighed the risks of a stretched pouch or stoma with the risk of continuing to be morbidly obese. Some of the risks can be controlled -- e.g., staying true to the "no drinking for 30 mins after eating" rule can help prevent food rushing through the pouch too fast and stretching the stoma over time. But I had high blood pressure since I was 21 and diabetes since I was 23, so I knew continuing on that same path, I wasn't likely to make it to 40.

I also found out that techniques have changed over the years, so a lot of the complications people who are 10+ years out are developing now are moot points for those of us having surgery now. Gastro-gastric fistulas are less common now because the pouch is cut away from the remnant stomach, not just separated by a staple line. Laparoscopic stapling techniques have advanced significantly. Are there other things that could turn up? Absolutely. But I'll have to deal with them as they come. For now, I'm just happy to be 30 years old and in the best shape of my life.  

tracik3
on 8/31/15 11:09 am

I did not know the surgery was different now than it was 10 years ago.  But, it makes since that they would improve on it.  That is one of the things that does scare me about it! I keep reading about problems 9, 10, 11 years down the road. 

You are right about the risks of high blood pressure and being diabetic!

tracik3
on 8/30/15 11:52 am

I found the below from a board several months ago and copied and saved it to my email.  Has anyone heard of this?

Dr Jossart told us that years ago when he originally started doing sleeve as a stand alone surgery his patients had terrible GERD. So he researched it and developed a different procedure using some type of extra stitching that allows the sleeve to drain acid down instead of refluxing. He teaches this method to other surgeons at ABSMC conferences. Hopefully more surgeons will catch on.
I would specifically ask your surgeon about his post op GERD stats and see if he uses this method.

Bchica15
on 9/1/15 7:16 pm
with

I had sleeve surgery 10/1/12 and am revising to RNY 10/7/15 due to GERD and hiatal hernia. I wish I had done the RNY to begin with...

tracik3
on 9/2/15 2:20 pm

This is what I am worried about! Do you think just fixing the hernia would fix the GERD? I bet I have a hiatal hernia because I have the acid reflux now.  I see some posts where they fixed the hernia during the sleeve and now have no issues.  But, I see other posts where people had no acid reflux until surgery. I guess its just a gamble you take! I don't want two surgeries and I don't want rny! UGH

Bchica15
on 9/2/15 2:25 pm
with

I never had Gerd pre surgery. My sleeve is also twisted, I am going for RNY, I do not want to take the chance that the Gerd doesn't go away. 

tracik3
on 9/3/15 5:57 am

Do you think the twisted sleeve is from the surgeon? Or is it just something that happens?

Bchica15
on 9/3/15 2:03 am, edited 9/4/15 11:15 am
with

Maybe twisted after/during pregnancy. 

Most Active