Taking first steps to lap band revision

InTheMiddle
on 8/29/15 10:59 am

Hi,

Thanks for your reply! They said they would do the removal but not the revision.  They are going to try to slip it through, though, nd see if it gets approved.

Karen R.
on 8/27/15 6:35 am - Amelia, OH
Revision on 09/10/15

Hi-I was banded in 2010 and have had issues with my band. Currently my docs feel the band needs to come out very soon. I was given two dates to choose from, Sept. 4th or 10th. I choose the 10th to give myself more time to prepare mentally (and stress). Insurance was the least of my issues as it only took 24 hours for approval. Good luck to you and your road to revision and also to everyone one this site.

Karen

Ht: 5'3"/Pre-Band Weight:256/Revision to RNY 9/10/15-Weight: 219--GW: 115--CW 105

BebeZed
on 8/27/15 7:10 am - Bellingham, WA

Good luck Karen! 

spideygirl7133
on 8/27/15 9:04 am

So I had a revision from the band to the sleeve about 2 weeks ago (had the band since 2008).  I decided to go with the sleeve because I thought the DS and the bypass were a little too drastic for me.  In addition, the band worked for me when I actually had restriction (which only seemed to be in the beginning for short periods of time).  I was concerned because after reading through many posts here and talking to my doc, I knew that going from a band to a sleeve I would lose weight slower than virgin sleeve patients.  However, that hasn't been an issue for me so far and I'm down 16 pounds in 15 days (I feel like I'm on the Biggest Loser because I never lost weight like this with the band).  However, the head hunger has continued to rear its ugly head and if it wasnt for my support team (my husband, mom, daughter and some close friends) I wouldn't be where I am at right now. 

I too HATE surgery/anesthesia (I've had plenty of surgeries in my life and everytime I get more nervous), but my surgery went very smoothly and I had no complications.  I know its a mental thing, but hard to get over the nervous part of it, but most people have no issues.

I can't speak to your insurance concerns as I was cash pay, but being in the industry, I know that the insurance companies usually do make decisions within 5 business days of getting the paperwork from your doctor. 

I hope this helps and I wish you luck with whatever surgery you decide on!

Banded 05/2008, Revision to VSG scheduled 08/12/2015! 

InTheMiddle
on 8/29/15 11:15 am

Congrats on your success!  I hope I'm making the right decision with the bypass.  The band worked for me, too, but I vomited everyday.  So I  don't know if it was the vomiting that really did it.  I don't want to chance not losing.  

Do you know if the slow weightloss applies to bypass, too?

Good luck in your journey!

south2north
on 8/27/15 9:10 am
DS on 11/19/14

I had the DS 11/14 after having my lap band from 2008 removed.  What a relief it is to get that thing out!! It has been far easier than the band ever was!  I am totally satisfied with my food options probably because I can eat a lot of fat, heavy cream, full fat Greek yogurt, full fat cheese, butter, meats, etc. I don't feel "deprived" at all.  I'm nine months out and down 116 pounds so far!!!  It was the best decision I've ever made!  Good luck to you on your journey.  I wish you much success!

InTheMiddle
on 8/29/15 11:18 am

That's fantastic!  With so many people having the DS, I wonder why my doctor doesn't do them?

BebeZed
on 9/7/15 11:10 am - Bellingham, WA

You don't know how reassuring your post was to me! I am scheduled for a lap band to DS revision on October 3rd. I will be totally relieved to get that evil band out and enjoy the DS life. Like you, I am into the full fat cheese and butter and meats etc., so DS is perfect for me. I hope I am as successful as you are! 

Most Active