Taking first steps to lap band revision

InTheMiddle
on 8/27/15 7:30 am

Did you have to do a 6 month diet with your previous surgery?  I did not do one at that time.

Felicity Q.
on 8/27/15 2:33 pm
DS on 09/28/15

No, I haven't done any amount of supervised diet either in my original Lap-Band approval, nor the approval for the revision.
I might have been more successful if I had!  Same insurance then, too.

Lap-Band 2011 | DS Revision 9/28/15 | HW: 380 in 2011 | GW: 140

Blog: http://felicitywls.blogspot.com/ | Twitter: @FelicityQ13

BebeZed
on 8/26/15 2:40 pm - Bellingham, WA

Hi! I am planning a revision as well. I was banded in 2008 and it never worked out for me. I am going for a DS - I'm in the process of getting everything cleared to schedule the surgery. I chose the DS because it's got the best record for getting off the weight and keeping it off long-term. It also allows the most normal diet of all the surgeries - and it's way more in line with the way I actually eat. I ruled out the sleeve because I know restriction alone will not do it for me. I need the malabsorptive component as well. I ruled out bypass because my sister in law had a bypass and was constantly sick because there was very little she could tolerate in her diet. I also wanted to avoid dumping syndrome because that can be nasty stuff. Also, bypass patients have a tendency to gain some weight back as they get further out from their surgery date... DS has a better record with that. 

Of course, your mileage may vary. What works for me might not work for you. I'm prepared to gobble vitamins the rest of my life. I'm prepared for the side effects but I consider those more acceptable than bypass. I am really ready for the DS way of eating as it fits in beautifully with what I like anyway. You may (and probably do) have a set of different criteria. The best advice I can offer is to research everything, get as many opinions as possible, consider the consequences (diet, side effects) and make a decision from there. 

The best of luck to you!

InTheMiddle
on 8/26/15 7:14 pm

Hey, thanks for your reply!  It looks like you have put a lot of thought in to this and that DS seems right for you.  I did consider that one, but my doctor doesn't really do them.  He prefers sleeve and RNY.  It's good that I like the doctor, because it seems  like he is my only choice.  I have been waiting a long time to get this thing out, so I can't give up the only chance I have! 

Good luck to you in your WLS journey.  Please keep me updated on your progress.  It is going to be so good to get these pounds off and start living life!

BebeZed
on 8/27/15 7:09 am - Bellingham, WA

I totally understand where you're coming from and in the same situation, I'd do the same I'm sure. Ultimately it's about what works for the individual, not what someone else thinks is 

Good luck to you too! I will be posting updates as things progress. I agree - it's going to be really good to get this weight off! It won't be easy but then it's totally worth it :) 

Hislady
on 8/26/15 8:12 pm - Vancouver, WA

Congrats to all of you!! I had my band removed over a year ago! Whew what a relief, that was the worst decision I ever made. Soooo glad to be rid of it! Wishing you all complete success and speedy recovery on your surgeries!!!

amaral1407
on 8/26/15 9:05 pm - WA

Hello 

I had pretty good luck with my Premera insurance for revision from lapband to Sleeve, was submitted on August 17 was denied at first stating I didn't have psych evaluation, or nutritionist visit for 6 months,  Once doctor office submitted previous reports that I was approved immediately.  I have surgery on August 31st.  This time I hate doing the two week all liquid diet seems alot worst this time.  I am excited and nervous also.  My lapband was a great tool for me the first 1.5 years after that I had nothing but problems, lots of unfills and fills, until I couldn't keep water down, and found out that my body was rejecting the lapband.  I was so sick for two months that I became anemic, vitamin B and D deficient.  Ended up having to have 4 iron infusions, Vitamin b shots for once a week for a month and than once a month for a year, and finally prescription Vitamin D.  I wish everyone luck for a speedy approval

InTheMiddle
on 8/27/15 1:53 pm

Thanks for your reply.  My office just said I may have to do the 6 month diet if there is no band slippage.  How did you get around that?

amaral1407
on 8/27/15 2:00 pm - WA

Hello

I was seeing my nutritionist at my doctors office every fill unfill, which for me has been about 2 weeks for the last year.  My insurance for revision did not require any other documentation, beside why my body was rejecting the band (Premera Blue Cross).  Maybe they figured it might be cheaper to get it revised they to continue to pay for dr visits.  Best of luck to you, I would ask call your insurance and just check on what is required from them. 

Hislady
on 8/27/15 9:33 pm - Vancouver, WA

If it is causing you pain like you said that should be enough right there to skip any diet and go straight to removal. As soon as I woke up from the surgery my pain was gone so I knew it was something to do with the band.

Most Active