Unsuccessful revision?

KattattaK
on 8/31/15 12:23 pm

@lauries03 thanks so much for the info. One of my biggest fears/worries is going through a revision and being unsuccessful in my weightloss due to it just not working as well as having to deal with learning a new normal all over again. I recently went to a few different weightloss surgery seminars and was told by each surgeon that they prefer to do it all in one surgery but claim their patients who have band removal and revision (mainly the sleeve) done 3-6 months later tend to be more successful. I was told that after lapband removal, the upper part of the stoma (above the band) is "lazy" or atrophied (sp??) and sluggish and when stapled leaves a bit of a pouch up top. No idea if this is true or not, but I was told this by 3 different surgeons at 3 separate seminars. I found it interested. Been meaning to research it but haven't had much time to do so.

Jenbug43
on 8/31/15 12:00 pm

Mine was done all in one surgery.  My surgeon suggested RNY over the sleeve due to scar tissue and where he would have to stitch etc...but other than that he was fine with doing it all at once. 

KattattaK
on 8/31/15 3:16 pm

Awesome!!! Makes sense to get it all done in one go!

Jenbug43
on 10/5/15 7:45 am

Hi there...just checking in. I'm three months out now and nothing has changed. I'm still never full. I saw my surgeon last week and had to actually insist on seeing him and not just the PA. She tried to tell me again "hmm I don't know...come back next month." Being back to work its like an act of congress to get time off so I insisted on seeing him. She also forgot to give me a lab slip last time so I don't even know what my labs look like....I almost felt that they don't believe me. It was disappointment to say the least! So he scheduled me for an upper GI for this week just to rule out there is nothing mechanically wrong with the surgery. I saw my NUT the next day and she was more understanding and said that she believed me but really had no other insight. Eat less and exercise more. I feel like nobody understands this at all!

I thought of something though.....everyone says "you don't get restriction until the nerve endings heal." When you look at how the band was placed on the stomach originally, could it be that the nerve endings are damaged due to the band placement? I don't feel confident that a surgeon is going to say "yeah the band was crap and now your screwed up from it."

Emotional roller coaster is right!

Most Active