Sleeve to Bypass and Hiatal Hernia Repair due to Gerd- Burning Still Nasty Taste in Mouth

payton4
on 7/12/15 8:12 am

I'm 12 days out of my revision, taking Dexilant. I had a revision from Sleeve to Bypass and Hiatal Hernia Repair.

I don't know if its my body still recovering but I feel a burning tingling sensation in my chest that travels to my by back a couple of times throughout the day. I felt it a couple of times as I slept last night flat on my back.  I don't feel like the burning is coming up my esophagus like before the surgery though.

I don't know if its related to heartburn. But before the surgery I would taste a weird taste on my tongue. The doctor said it was not bile but  acid. After the surgery I taste a weird taste but mostly if I'm around perfumes, and household cleaning products. If I'm at the store and walk down the laundry detergent aisle. Its like I can taste it in my mouth. I don't know if that's from Gerd, or Allergies, Confused.

I informed my dr. he said the surgery went well, and the sensation I'm feeling could be from him stitching me up. He did not talk to much about the taste.

I just want to feel better, I need to.

Has anybody had this type of surgery, bypass and hiatal hernia repair? I know everybody different but how long does it take to heal?

Any advice?

Bchica15
on 7/12/15 1:26 pm
with

I would love to see the responses. I am having the same surgery. Sleeve to bypass with hernia repair and my sleeve is twisted.... Wishing you well in your recovery

payton4
on 7/14/15 6:42 am

Thanks, are you having any heartburn?

Bchica15
on 7/20/15 7:56 am
with
On July 14, 2015 at 6:42 AM Pacific Time, payton4 wrote:

Thanks, are you having any heartburn?

Yep terrible heartburn/reflux... How's your recovery going?

Hislady
on 7/12/15 11:28 pm - Vancouver, WA

Do you still have your gall bladder? The pain from front to back sounds a bit like it could be from the gall bladder and I know when mine was bad that I'd have funny reaction to smells and tastes.

payton4
on 7/14/15 6:41 am

Yes, I still have my gall bladder. The dr. tested for that and it was fine.

Chilipepper
on 7/20/15 9:48 am

Are you on a PPI?  Pepcid or Prevacid. It does sound like gall bladder. I would speak to you surgeon. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

AmberK
on 7/21/15 1:00 pm
VSG on 03/07/12 with

Hello! I'm considering the sleeve to bypass surgery also! Can you tell me what your BMI was when you had the bypass? I have a consult with my doc who did my sleeve next week, but bc my BMI is 33, it sounded like they may not do it.

I hope you feel better and the rest of your recovery is smooth!

mcposw
on 5/24/21 2:20 pm
Revision on 06/06/21
mcposw
on 5/24/21 2:25 pm
Revision on 06/06/21

I am having to same revision surgery Sleeve to RNY and hiatal hernia repair in two weeks. Having it because of GERD. I have normal BMI 25. I will not be taking anymore PPIs. Did u take PPIs before revision? Hope u r feeling better.

Most Active