A revision for me...Can someone tell me about it??

tinatwoishere
on 7/8/15 11:40 am

Hello again,  I had a RNY back in 2-2008, I did very well with it. Heaviest weight was 436, I lost 235 and love the weight I was. Then things happened in my life that made me go back to my old ways. In Oct. 2011, my husband of 10 years got sick, went into the hospital and within a week had passed away, On Oct 10th, our 10th wedding anniversary was to be Oct. 19th. My life feel apart and I was trying to deal with my lost and trying to save our home and try to get my husband things together. Before I notice I was gaining weight back, I was so depress about everything. All I had to do was go to work and save my house and come home to an empty home. Then only 4 months after I lost my husband, I was coming home after work about 5pm and I wa**** head-on by a drunk driver. It was bad, I ended up in the hospital for over 6 months with a broken hip and pelvis, both my ankles were broken (2 bones), 6 broken ribs and 4 small bones broke in my back. I was very bad off and when they finally let me get out of bed I had to learn to walk all over again. I still have problems with walking to this day. With the lost of my husband and the accident I lost everything, my house, my job, my income and the ability to take care of myself. Now I have gain all my weight back and more since this all happened to me. I have been working on getting my life back and started over two years ago with seeing a doctor on a regular basics to get all my meds and seeing what I need. I'm now working on getting a revision done. I have gotten ahold of my surgeon from 2008 and he is on board with my getting it done. So now I'm just starting with visits to doctor, therapist and nutritionist and he wants me to lose 60 pounds in six months. So here I go again and getting my life back on track. My doctor wants to do a Distal Gastric Bypass. Does anyone have one of those done? and if so how it go?

Butterfli2005
on 7/8/15 1:02 pm

Wow! You have been to hell and back twice now! And you are still here to tell us about it, reach out for help and start over. That is awesome! I am sure your husband is very proud of you as he watches you survive and move forward. I don't even know you and I am proud of you! 

Ok so here we go! I am trying to get approval for the distal bypass. If my insurance company ever did (and by damned I will fight for it) agree to cover a revision I will have to have the distal not a DS. DS is a procedure they will not cover period. Additionally, the surgeon I have states the distal is a safer way, nutrition wise, to go. He has done over a thousand and says it / he has great results and success with it. 
I am on a support board mainly geared to people having had the distal revision but they will let others waiting join as well. This has been a real help to me, I get to see how life is pre op and others struggle, but then a lot more about life after the surgery from those who have had it.  It is just called Distal Revision support group. Look them up if you are interested.

I look forward to hearing more from you as you get back into life and this journey!

tinatwoishere
on 7/11/15 10:49 pm

Hello and thank you for reading my post. Where is the support group is it on here OH? I'm on a group on FB but I like to learn all I can about this revision. Maybe we can help each other out. I'm at the start of my journey with just so far with first visit with doctor. Then on the 18th I have appointments with his doctor, therpiest and EKG set up. I don't see the nut. until Sept 2. Doctor wants me to lost 60 pounds in six months also. A lot to do. Let me know, my name is Tina

Feb. 26, 2008 had RNY SW:436 EW:197 LW:239....

Now after 2 tragic in my life...Now revision w/ Distal Gastric Bypass

Butterfli2005
on 7/13/15 9:38 am

Hi Tina, I would love to stay in touch.. I said more on the other board.. talk soon!

tinatwoishere
on 7/13/15 3:43 pm

Where is the Distal Revision support group at? I'm looking but not getting anything.  Tina

Queen JB
on 7/10/15 5:05 am
RNY on 07/20/15

No advice on the revision, but just wanted to pipe in and wish you all the best. I can't even imagine how awful the past few years have been. I will send all my positive thoughts your way in hopes that the next procedure is smooth, easy and successful.

• High Weight before LapBand: 200 (2008)
  • High Weight before RNY: 160 (2015)
  • Lowest post-op weight: 110 (2016)
  • Maintenance Weight: 120 (2017-2019)
  • Battling Regain Weight: 135 (current)

Karen R.
on 7/12/15 9:43 am - Amelia, OH
Revision on 09/10/15

Hi, I'm not sure what to say about the revision...but after all you have been through, I would find a doctor that you're comfortable with and take his/her advice. I'm impressed with your perseverance and wish you well. 

tinatwoishere
on 7/12/15 12:58 pm

Hello Karen, Thanks for posting to my post. I do have my family doctor and I love her and I have the same doctor that did my RYN in 2008 again and he is a very nice doctor. what I'm surprised about on here that not to many people on OH knows about the Distal Bypass. I need to learn more about it. I hope to keep in touch with you. My name is Tina.

BebeZed
on 7/12/15 3:58 pm - Bellingham, WA

Tina, I don't have any advice for you (I'm banded but saving for a DS) but I wanted to reach out and say how much I admire you for getting through all of the hard times. Hooray for starting to get back on track! I'm trying to do that too. ALL the best to you! Hang in there - good times are coming! :) 

danielle1964
on 7/13/15 9:30 am

I had an RNY, which was revised to a distal RNY, and am now the proud owner of a DS. I found that with the distal RNY, I didn't lose much weight, and still dealt with issues of bile reflux and dumping. I have none of those issues now. I even find that the diarrhea and gas that I had with the distal RNY are no longer present. If you're going to have surgery, why not bring your pyloric sphincter back into play and live a more normal life than the RNY requires? 

Most Active