Band to Bypass: Recovery Time?

Queen JB
on 7/7/15 10:28 am
RNY on 07/20/15

Having the band removed (YAY!) and revising to the bypass in a few weeks. Just wondering about recovery time? Is recovery time a little longer due to the double procedure? Curious to hear your experiences... Thanks!

• High Weight before LapBand: 200 (2008)
  • High Weight before RNY: 160 (2015)
  • Lowest post-op weight: 110 (2016)
  • Maintenance Weight: 120 (2017-2019)
  • Battling Regain Weight: 135 (current)

kaniky
on 7/7/15 12:33 pm
RNY on 05/18/15

I can only speak for myself, but I have had a very difficult time.  My surgery which should have been 1 1/2 hours ended up being three because there was so much scar tissue built up around the band my doctor was removing.  I also had a hiatal hernia repaired.  Unfortunately, my dad passed away the morning after my surgery so I was dealing with those emotions too.  I've been slow to feel better.  I ended up with 8 incisions on my tummy and the healing process was slow. 

Please listen to your body and don't push yourself more than you're comfortable with.  I'm seven weeks post surgery and still don't feel as well as I did prior to surgery. 

I never said it would be easy. I said it would be worth it.
M1: -15, M2: -14, M3: -8, M4 -11, M5 -8, M6 -7, M7 -8, M8 -4

Queen JB
on 7/7/15 2:05 pm
RNY on 07/20/15

So sorry to hear about the loss of your father. What a terrible thing to happen when you are not at your full capacity... Sending postivie thoughts.

My surgeon said she didn't think the recovery for revision would be any worse, but it's hard to imagine that being under anesthesia longer and having an extra (large) incision wouldn't be harder on the body, right?

I have a very active job, so I decided to take two weeks off, then a third week to work from home and catch up on email. I will not plan to be back on my feet for work for three full weeks. I'm not sure that will be enough time, but I reallydon't want to take eevery last minute of sick and vacation time I have, in case I need it.

payton4
on 7/11/15 11:31 pm

Hello

I had a revision from sleeve to bypass due to heartburn and a hiatal hernia repair on July 1 2015. I had the revision due to heartburn. I am not still feeling at my best yet either. I feel a slight burning in my chest that goes to back but don't know if its reflux or just me recovering form the surgery of the hiatal hernia.

What was the reason you had a revision?

AmyDee123
on 7/8/15 11:39 am - Lutz, FL
RNY on 06/12/15

My surgery was 3 hours because of scar tissue.  My doc told me it would be a little slower in recovery than most because of the revision.  I then ended up with a bowel obstruction (nothing to do with the previous surgery) and had to have a second surgery.  Because it was 9 days after the first surgery the doc said that whatever i am feeling now I should have been feeling 9 days ago.  I am about 4 weeks from surgery, and have NO energy.  Half way through the day I take a nap whether i like it or not.  I am still not working but I have a job that starts on the 22nd so I am hoping I feel better by then, even though I can work from home.  

LapBand Weight 460 (2006) | Panni Removal Weight 200 (2008) | 3rd kid (2009)
Revision to RNY Weight 355 (June 2015)

Jeppa
on 7/12/15 9:09 pm
Revision on 06/02/15

Hi!  I had a revision from band to bypass on June 2, 2015. I also had a hiatal hernia repair at the same time. My procedure took 3 hours due to the scar tissue as well. (Seems to be a popular occurrence!) What was supposed to be laparoscopic turned into an open procedure and I have a scar about 6 inches long. It has been almost 6 weeks and I am just now feeling "normal" but I still run out of steam earlier in the day than usual. I went back to work after a couple of weeks, but only for about 2 hours a day. My first "full day" was last Monday. But my work is not strenuous, I sit behind a desk editing and typing. My biggest hurdle was finding my focus! I still feel I am not there 100% just yet. I guess that is why my doc told me 8 weeks - I would have loved to have taken the full 8 weeks, but my nerves - and my pocket book - just would not allow! I'm still not lifting more than 10 lbs for a couple of more weeks. But my pain is all but a memory, I only feel "odd" when switching sides when I sleep. Turning from my left side to my right side makes me feel like part of my insides are fighting gravity - it's a weird feeling lol.

Good luck in your procedure :)

12.25.08 - Starting Weight: 408...7.30.09 - Surgery  Weight: 336

6.2.15 - Revision Surgery (Lap removal/RNY) Wt: 295

Queen JB
on 7/13/15 4:28 am
RNY on 07/20/15

Yikes, you guys are scaring me! I plan to only take 2 full weeks off, then the third week I was going to work from home, and then be back full time after that. I have a pretty active job. I work for an educational non-profit company, and I drive to multiple schools a day (sometimes drive up to an hour between them) and when I am there there is a lot of walking and stairs. But more importantly it is important that I am able to be "on" with adults and kids.

I have my pre-op this morning, and I will ask them about whether they think I should push out full recovery by another week. 

Thanks for the responses!

Dibaby45
on 7/17/15 10:23 am

Hi there!

I had my revision from band to bypass on June 23. I was also really worried about scar tissue since I had my band since 2003. My surgery went fine and it was 1.5 hours as scheduled. I went back to work after 3 weeks but I could have worked from home a bit earlier I guess. Glad I took the 3 weeks though. I feel really healed up but I just don't have the same stamina yet. Walking to the cafeteria to check out the soups takes all my energy. Honestly though I couldn't be happier to be band free. It wasn't that bad at all the recovery and the pain was minimal. I am down 31 pounds as well :) and NO REFLUX thank God! I'm sleeping like a baby again. Anyways good luck with it. I wouldn't compare too much though. Everyone is different. Just make sure you have one damn good doctor :)

Most Active