Revision of Gastric bypass. Can anyone relate?

luckysd
on 9/8/15 12:10 pm - Linwood, PA

Hi Staci,

I was just wondering if you had your revision surgery and what type you had done and how you made out?  I had gastric bypass surgery in 2005 and I was reading about having a revision also but was scared.  I just don't like having any type of surgery but I need to have something done to get this weight off.  Thank you,  Suzanne

Staci L.
on 9/8/15 12:27 pm - Snellville, GA

Hello luckysd,

I'm still in the process of having the surgery. I've had the endoscopy and now in the process of a 3 month supervised diet with a nutritionist (surgeons requirements). So, I'm on a high protein diet. Once I lose at least 2-5 pounds a month, I can then be recommended to have the surgery. I'm excited about having it done. Only 2 more months to go. I hope this helps...

luckysd
on 9/8/15 1:04 pm - Linwood, PA

Thank you.  Was the endoscopy done to veryify your pouch did expand?  And do you know if this is a general recommendation from all doctors to go on a diet for a few months before having the revision surgery?

Staci L.
on 9/8/15 1:18 pm - Snellville, GA

Welcome. Yes. The endoscopy was done to see if or exactly how much it's expanded. In fact it did. It is twice the size that it was once they did the original surgery in 2004.

I am not sure if all surgeons or/and insurance companies require a 3 month supervised diet.

Ladytazz
on 7/7/15 11:40 pm

I'm just curious.  Do you have osteoporosis?  I just can't imagine breaking a bone like that.  I have osteoporosis, fortunately I have had Reclast infusions and it is reversing.

Have you been keeping up with your supplements?  I admit I had gotten lax.  It was a wake up call and now I don't miss a day.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Butterfli2005
on 7/7/15 12:41 pm, edited 7/7/15 12:47 pm

Well I can half reply. I lost 182 lbs after my RNY in 2002. I have regained about 97 lbs. of that the past 13 years but most of it was in the past 8 years for a lot of different reasons, but mainly due to a very low metabolism level, which I have had all my life, but was significantly better until about 2 years after RNY. I need and have very valid medical reasons to have a revision but my insurance company refuses to listen to my surgeon. I and my surgeons office are in our 4th appeal so far. This appeal is up with the insurances "medical review" board. I have been at this since April. The next step, if this appeal is denied again is to re- apply with more medical ammo. And then go through the whole process again. I NEED this surgery desperately bad. 
The thing I would suggest is to take a deep breath. I imagine the feelings are similar to how you felt during the first round of surgery. But I gather it was a slower process then. I, even though I have not yet even approved, have started to prepare for surgery. I have gotten meat and chicken to make broth to freeze, I try very hard to eat like I will have to post op, I try to keep my long term schedule clear, and I even bought two loose summer dresses today so when I come home I have something loose to wear. Maybe trying to prepare like I have, would help with the anxiety of the fast approaching surgery date. I know doing it for me, even though I am not yet even approved and am aware it might take several more months of fighting for it, it has helped me to take these positive steps. 

Staci L.
on 7/7/15 2:15 pm - Snellville, GA

Hello Butterfli2005,

I first would like to commend your level of faith and determination. It takes a lot to get to where you are mentally. Not everyone has that innate ability. Thanks for the inspiration. I just found out today that I will need to have a PFT and a Stress Test prior to surgery. My surgeon is located 3 1/2hrs away and I already have 7 separate appointments scheduled that I will have to miss work for (FMLA), so I am going to take those two tests in my PCP's office. I truly hope that I'm approved for the surgery as well because I've spent a lot of money traveling back and forth. The surgeons here won't do a revision if my original surgeon is within a 200 mile radius. 

Thanks for sharing your story and let's continue to keep the faith together.

Staci

Butterfli2005
on 7/8/15 9:06 am

Yikes that is a long drive each time! I only have half an hour to 45 minutes and even that is too long for me! I hate traffic...
Thanks for the nice words. It is frustrating fighting this fight over and over again.. but I am the one who has to live in my body the rest of my life. And if I can't then I need to do what I need to change that! We will keep fighting together!!

cuppyb
on 7/14/15 4:40 pm - Fort Worth, TX
Revision on 05/20/15 with

Tomorrow is 8 weeks since my revision and my only regret is I didn't do it sooner.

Anyone who says sunshine brings happiness has never danced in the rain.- Author unknown

Most Active