Multiple questions - extremely desperate

smrt1997
on 7/5/15 8:01 am

I had the sleeve 12/2011. Originally lost 136 lbs and got down to 149. I leveled off there and maintained for a a year and a half. I have since gained back 50 lbs. I am hypothyroid and trying to regulate this. Plus, weight gain started when I was switched from welbutrin to effexor. I just figured that part out in the past month. I have since been weaning off effexor and building up welbutrin. I am petrified of continually gradually gaining the weight back. Mind you the 50 lbs has been since June of last year. I am gaining about a lb a week no matter what I do to try to lose it. I crave food constantly, etc. which is what I have found is a side effect of the Effexor in some people. Getting my blood tested every 8 weeks to get to a normal range for my thyroid. My dr wont allow me to exercise (not that i care, lol****il my thyroid is regulated as he is worried with me flip flopping back and forth between hypo and hyper that it could damage my heart. I am now 202 lbs. :(

So, first question, has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Second, I am considering a revision and want to know how many people have had insurance cover it and how much it cost if you didn't have insurance cover it? 

3rd, any ideas on where to get clothes to fit into that are cheap as I am TIRED of buying clothes and then 3 weeks later they no longer fit. :( 

I walk in such shame on a day to day basis. feel like such a failure. I did so well for so long, no matter what I ate, my capacity helped me control any weight gain. I just am depressed and want to hide in my house until it's figured out. 

Thanks in advance for any input. :)

VSG 12-7-11                        

Butterfli2005
on 7/5/15 11:50 am

I can't address a lot of the physical issues. I have been fortunate not to end up in them (though I don't know why honestly) I was also on Effexor for a long time and gained weight . I sadly have regained 97 lbs since 2011 (my RNY was 2002. I can understand your emotions of feeling  shame, embarrassment, and self blame. I feel that way every day and all I want to do is hide, especially from family. I haven't found a way to deal with that emotionally. Physically I try all the time to lose it but I just can't. My metabolic rate is extremely low, even with exercise.
I am in the process of trying to get Tricare to approve me for a revision. My request has been denied 3 times, and is now in a medical review board status to see if that will reverse the disapproval and approve me for the surgery. BUT there are a lot of people under different insurances that have been approved. I am looking for a distal revision of my RNY mainly because there are no surgeons here that will or have the experience to revise from a RNY to a Duodenal switch.  For you, since you already have the sleeve, it might be easier for you to get a DS. I am not sure. My insurance will not cover DS even if I could find an experienced surgeon in that area that was willing to do it. Revising a RNY is much more complicated if you go to a DS. From what I gather thought, if you can go with a DS it is a much better way to go. Much more effective, and less side effects. But I am on a FB support group of people trying to get and having had a distal revision and it has worked for them, just more side effects. 

Buying clothes- If you have a Savers near you they are an EXCELLENT place to go to get second hand clothing. Especially pants, since they are already "stretched" in the denim. I have a hard time with pants because I need a 18 around my waist but it has to be a tall. I have to go into a 20 because I carry a lot of weight in my legs. Finding ones that have been worn seems to work the best for me. If you don't have a Savers try a Goodwill or ARC. The quality of the clothes isn't as good but sometimes you can find steals if you hit them at the right time. 

Hislady
on 7/5/15 4:56 pm - Vancouver, WA

With the sleeve you can indeed revise to a DS but of course first you need to find out if your insurance covers it. On the back of your insurance card there is a number, call that and see if they do revisions and then have them send you the things you will need to do to qualify for it.

Also I would suggest getting back on a high protein diet to help with weight loss now and get n the habit of weighing, measuring and journaling your food that will help. Weight loss is mainly done with diet not near so much with exercise so that isn't a big deal that you can't exercise yet. Sounds like you need to get some things settled down first. I have continued to lose with just my eating high protein, low carb and moderate healthy fats.

As for clothes you can find lots of nice things at the Goodwill, Salvation Army and other thrift type shops No point in wasting money while sizes are changing! You would do well to also get into some therapy to help you find other tools for dealing with everyday life, meds are good but sounds like you need some help in this time while the meds are being adjusted. You are an awesome person and need to look at yourself that way! You are worth whatever you have to do to be happy! Try fakin' it till you make it! Sometimes just pretending to be happy will boost your mood. Go ahead and give it a try it can't hurt! You are worthy, you are kind and caring. You are a good person worthy of loving and being loved, you rock!!!

TanyaRN
on 7/6/15 8:17 am - Palm Bay, FL

weight gain does not automatically mean time for revision. With everything else going on, a revision will not change anything. Go back to basics....high protein, low carb, increased water. Even if you cant vigorously exercise, what about walking and just being more active?

Most Active