Revision from sleeve to bypass due to heartburn and Hiatal Hernia

payton
on 6/1/15 7:02 am

Has anyone had this type of revision because of those symptoms? If so, how was things afterwards? Some people have said they experience heartburn still after the bypass, but its usually because of eating habits.

Stormf1a
on 6/7/15 9:15 pm - FL

Hi, just had revision surgery 2 weeks ago,  sleeve to bypass, severe Gerd...you are not alone. I'm trying to find out more info on here too. We're the lucky 10%, but my Dr is confident that the bypass should significantly reduce the reflux and associated discomfort.

payton4
on 6/15/15 9:03 am

How has your heartburn been in the last 2 weeks since your revision? How is your weight loss?

Stormf1a
on 6/15/15 12:25 pm - FL

No heartburn,  but very, very insignificant acid/rumbling I  feel maybe once a day, in the stomach / doesn't come up and only lasts like a minute.  I am still on protonix for 3 months,  and hoping that i will not be experiencing any symptoms when I hit that mark.  As far as weight loss, I've lost close  to 20 lbs so far,  but I will tell you that I'm working out 4 times a wk,  running and in the gym 30 minutes. I have heard some people say that the weight loss is different and possibly slower with the revision, but I know that for myself, I feel like I've been eating more now than when I had the sleeve. According to what I'm reading online, others have said that we may not be experiencing fullness in the first few weeks because the nerves were cut. I'm assuming that may be accurate, because yesterday I suddenly was full halfway through even a protein shake. I've tolerated all foods very well so far, and just today, I had I had my first bout of 'omg, I ate too much'. So, about a month in, it feels like my body is beginning to get sensitive to the food amounts that I'm eating, and I need to remain more cognizant of my portion sizes. if you're eating very small amounts and sticking with a strict diet, I would guess that you should experience decent weight loss. I am a work in progress. Good luck! 

Lucy van Pelt
(formerly LetItBe)

on 6/17/15 12:41 am, edited 6/17/15 12:42 am

Hi everyone -- I'm so happy to have found this thread.

I had a sleeve in 2010 and did very well for the first 2 years or so. During the next 2 years I was prescribed a medication known to cause weight (thank you doctor for telling me that!) and my father died (comfort eating). So I'm back almost to my surgery weight. :-(

What do you all know about my chances of revision? I don't know if I want/need my sleeve tightened up by my original surgeon or if I want

a consult with a different surgeon who is known for his skill w/r/t revisions. 

For those of you who had a sleeve and now have had RNY, what's it like? 

Thanks in advance for your responses everyone!

Lucy van Pelt 
 Highest 255 Surgery 248 Current 170
Goal: 150

payton4
on 7/12/15 7:03 am

I'm 12 days of having my revision from the sleeve to RNY and hiatal hernia repair because of GERD. I don't know it its my body still recovering, but I still feel a slight burning sensation in my chest that goes to by back. It's hard to tell it its the heart burn. Before the surgery I could feel the acid coming up my esophagus. Now its a slight burning I don't feel anything coming up like before the surgery. I'm wondering if its just my body still in the recovery process since I had the bypass and hiatal hernia repair.

Also, I get this nasty taste in my mouth. I was getting that before surgery, and still, its not bile. I feel that taste when I get around perfume and household  chemicals.

How long before the heartburn went away?

Any advice?

Coreena K.
on 6/18/15 8:59 pm - Winnipeg, Canada

I am very curious about this myself. I had a Vsg in 2010 and did well for 2 years and on meds and told after a cpl yrs it may make me gain weight.

Along with my co-mirbidities, I am back up in weight but still not at the highest.

I had my yearly check up today and was told a revision could be done. Will have to start all over again from step 1. 

Looking for others who have gone through this

Coreena      

AmyDee123
on 7/12/15 7:50 am - Lutz, FL
RNY on 06/12/15

Its most likely you just recovering.  The digestive juices are mostly in your stomach which is not attached to your esophagus anymore.  Your esophagus takes time to heal, and you just had major surgery.  The foul taste and odor is from your diet change, and your digestion changing.  Its a likely mix of your tastes changing along with ketosis.  Its also a sign of not being hydrated enough.  You need to constantly be drinking.  That will help your esophagus as well.

My GERD and reflux went away instantly after my revision surgery to RNY.  I had a little pain after in my esophagus.  That is gone now.  I have not had a single episode of any digestive things coming up since the RNY (except for my bowel blockage, which I had surgery for after the RNY)

LapBand Weight 460 (2006) | Panni Removal Weight 200 (2008) | 3rd kid (2009)
Revision to RNY Weight 355 (June 2015)

Most Active