25 years ago Gastric stapling now fix it

HKT53
on 6/8/15 3:07 pm - Toronto, Canada

I was thinking the same thing. Even though they are growing at a very slow rate, Im curious how big they are now. Last year at this time they were the size of snow peas. However, Im about 180 now. Who knows how much I will be losing this time around. Regardless, I have heavy legs, always did. Im kinda like a Christmas tree shape. The cysts bother me enough now. They pinch my knee when I bend and I never kneel on my left knee or put any pressure. When my 2 year old grand daughter wants to lean on my knee, I position so she cant. I have a pretty high tolerance for pain, so we shall see.

HKT53
on 6/22/15 7:54 am - Toronto, Canada

Sorry, I didnt keep you posted last week. Very hard week for me. Mentally, I have had to deal with no food for a year and eight months, so you would think I got this covered. Very bad week emotionally and totally exhausting. Help is sooo close and yet every day left seems a month to go. I gotta go to hospital on Thursday for pre-admission testing... I start the Opt-fast on Friday.  I been telling all my family that I know someone that has gone through all of this and she knows, I am going to be just fine. Everytime I get really down, I think of you telling me Im going to be fine. So, how are you doing? What kind of foods are you able to have now? Any gas, bloating, indigestion, vomitting, dizziness, intestinal cramping. The kind of stuff I deal with everyday for a very very long time.

nellie67
on 6/27/15 2:23 pm

I know it's difficult for you, feeling awful for so long and still having to wait for relief. When you've had your revision and sailing along, it will become just an unpleasant memory.

I'm doing well. I think I'm losing very slow but I've been told that can happen c revision. Started back to work the 23rd and folks say they can tell I've lost weight. Yay!

I've tolerated mostly everything I've tried eating. I did feel kind of sweaty and sick once when I drank a Carnation Breakfast too fast.

By the way, my ankle feels much better than it did with the hardware in. I made it through two twelves in a row without much swelling.

Hang in there, I'm rooting for you.

HKT53
on 6/27/15 3:40 pm - Toronto, Canada

So glad you can finally feel comfort in your ankle. And this week with adding workday to your schedule must have been exhausting. I remember the first time round for me....I actually got so busy that I forgot to eat. Dont let that happen to you. Every two or three hours helps kick up your metabolism. Seriously, if it it not high in glutens or calories...it will be fine. Try juicing your vegetables...I like cucumber, celery and a pear or apple. Tastes fresh and clean in your mouth. Did you have to have two weeks prior to surgery with a high protein fasting drink? Im not doing so well with it. Cant say for sure but it might be my inability to digest proteins of any kind...do you think that is possible. Maybe its mind over matter.

So next time you look in the mirror....practice the line from Wizard of OZ "I'm melting, I'm melting."

HKT53
on 7/12/15 7:37 pm - Toronto, Canada

I'm just home from hospital. Trying to record every 15 min...did I breathe into pump...did I have have a shot of water...did I take my meds. Lots of things to do. Lots of pain yesterday but today just gas. Apparently my liver and pancreas was adhered to my stomach and pulled them out of place. Got to rest now

hope you are good

TexasLady52
on 5/22/15 9:11 am
Revision on 06/10/14

I had stomach stapling in 1980.  I never lost any amount of weight.  The surgery was horrible.  I threw up for the next thirty plus years.  I never knew if it was going to come up or go through me.  I kept gaining more weight and never could lose.  I tried for years to get a revision but I had terrible insurance and it would not pay for it.  I work for the State of Texas and they finally added it to our group insurance with a cap of one time payment of $13,000 and a revision was $43,000.  I had to dig up the difference but decided I had to do something or die.  When I had my upper GI....the docotor said my staple line had come lose and I had two complete stomachs and this is why I could not lose weight and never would until it is fixed.  My doctor recommended a DS.  When they got in there with all the scar tissue....they had to do a modified DS.....they could not do the sleeve shaped stomach.  This was the easiest surgey that I have ever had.  I was expecting it to be as hard as the last one but it wasn't.  I went to one hospital on Monday and had a IVC fiter put in so it would catch any clots (because of my past history) and went to another hospital on Tuesday... had the surgery that afternoon and came home Thursday.  I had to travel 300 miles because of insurance requirements.  Never had any problems at all.  With revision you usually lose slower.  It drove me crazy at first because I wasn't dropping weight like everyone I was reading about.....came to conclusion..I'm me....I'm older....had a revision....I don't have a thyroid....bad knees...and my body is going to do what it wants.  I prayed to just let me lose 100 lbs by my one year anniversary.  Next month is one year and I hit my goal.  I have had long  and numerous stalls along the way....but when I did....I was still losing inches.  You can do this....if you could do the stapling.....you got this one handled!!!!  By the way I haven't throwed up any except when I don't chew enough, overeat or forget and drink water to soon after I have eaten.  By no means the same kind of throwing up I did for the past 30 plus years.

HKT53
on 5/22/15 10:29 am - Toronto, Canada

Honestly, I am not much different than you. My saving grace is insurance covers everything in Canada (takes a long time for government to OK). In 1989 I weighed in at 327 lbs. After stapling and two years on soups, I went down to 160 lbs but could not go any lower. After graduating to small amounts of solids, I started to gain. For 5 years stayed around 180 lbs. but acid reflux and vomiting in the middle of the night got me worried. I went back to the surgeon and after upper GI said his work was fine and that it was all in my head. That I had to be forcing my foods and not drinking enough water. He prescribed Nexium and for the next twenty years I was only vomiting periodically. My weight would go up and I would go on a diet bouncing from 180 to 220. All at once January 2014 I was unable to tolerate solids, dairy and no matter how fine I ground meat and most fruits juiced in my juicer. I became weak with fainting spells and in 6 weeks lost 50 lbs. I have been to three different hospitals and was told after having cat scan that I had two stomachs, a failed valve at my esophagus and a hernia. Once we found a surgeon that is familiar with my problem, it took over a year for my insurance to give me the green light. Then the hospital lost all my history of knee replacement and by lateral foot surgery (this month they found it again) Now I just have to wait for a block of three days and this surgeon to perform the RNY. Maybe in August or later. So glad to hear you stopped vomiting. You have given me hope that I went through the worst with the gastric stapling.  I can look forward to easier time with this surgery. I am like you...my body is what it is and Im older. Just very bored drinking non-dairy protein four times a day for a year and half...(and add the calories in that stuff). I will let you know how I am doing. Good you reached your goal. Thanks for letting me know how you are doing.

HKT53
on 5/26/15 12:09 pm - Toronto, Canada

Yippee (I think) I got the call. RNY booked at hospital for July 10. Tell me again why I am doing this. Is it because I have only been living on nutrition drinks for a year and half. Is it because I vomit minimum four times a day? Is it because for 25 years have acid reflux and gerd? Is it because this is the best way to fix my problem. I think Im excited to be in the final stretch. I am supposed to be excited, right?

Determineddebbie
on 5/28/15 7:50 pm

I am scheduled for a revision from stapling to bypass on June 17, 2015 hoping to get rid of reflux as well, Im curious to those that have already done the revision was it done open or laparoscopy? My surgeon said he gas to do open because if scar tissue and im a little anxious about it!

Debbie

HKT53
on 6/2/15 7:39 am - Toronto, Canada

Sorry, mine for July 10th is laparoscopy. But please let me know how you are doing. Dont be nervous. Take all the days of dealing with reflux and be like me...we are only going forward. I have been a year and half only consuming liquids and still vomitting four to six times a day. When I heard a date was finally set, I cried with joy and relief that help is on the way. Good luck and stay calm.

Most Active