25 years ago Gastric stapling now fix it

HKT53
on 5/26/15 12:05 pm - Toronto, Canada

Yippee (I think) Surgery booked for July 10th. How are you doing? Tell me again how easy this is compared to Gastric Stapling.

nellie67
on 5/26/15 3:23 pm

Wonderful! The count down has begun.

HKT53
on 6/25/15 5:48 pm - Toronto, Canada

I start my Opti-fast in the morning until July 10th. The hospital postponed my pre-op appt until next week. I got a list of things I need to bring with me to hospital, including a pillow for the ride home between me and the seatbelt. I have not heard from you in awhile and hope you are OK. What kinds of foods are you taking now. Any problems with gas, vomitting or discomfort>

nellie67
on 6/1/15 8:46 pm

This time was so much easier pain wise. I was on PCA morphine until the last day because I wasn't allowed to take po meds until I could tolerate liquids.

Doc sent me home on Tylenol#3 elixir. I was a little worried, but that's all I needed. 

In fact, I'm going into surgery tomorrow to have hardware removed from my ankle. I expect the surgery to be more uncomfortable than GB.

HKT53
on 6/2/15 7:28 am - Toronto, Canada

How did your little surgery go? I hate anything done to my feet or ankles. I had by lateral surgery on my feet a few years ago. I still remember the pain. I believe the worst paid to your body is bones to be set in ankles and feet. So can I call you hop-a-long for awhile? Is there anybody to help you til you get on your feet?

Just chillin around the house and sorting stuff away. My daughter will be coming into town when I have surgery.

I am not too worried about pain. I know I have a high tolerance for pain. I have allergy to codeine but I am confident there is something out there for pain that is also a liquid. Right now for tendinitis pain in my hand, I have to take children's liquid tylenol without codeine. No pills stay down.  I talked to a lady yesterday that had the GB done. Her brother years ago had the G Stapling. When he heard about the GB, he convinced her to do it. She is amazed how much easier it was than what her brother went through in the 90's.

nellie67
on 6/2/15 10:49 am

Oh my, this is painful. Anesthesia offered to do a pain block but I wanted to be able to walk out of hospital. Silly me. I can't weight bear for 48 hours.

Yes, I'll be hop along for awhile.

HKT53
on 6/7/15 6:15 pm - Toronto, Canada

How are you doing? Next time they offer you pain block...there is a reason for that. I had to go to a bridal shower today. Just me and my ensure, while everybody asked me if I could eat. My mother in law was sure she saw me eating. Funny how people see things thet think they see. In fact I threw up after. Maybe I am nervous about the upcoming surgery...or just anxious.

nellie67
on 6/8/15 2:09 am

I'm having less pain today, and I sure am glad. It was nasty.

By the way, have I told you that I'm an orthopaedic nurse? Ha!

HKT53
on 6/8/15 7:26 am - Toronto, Canada

I did not know that...things that make you go "Huh"  You are too funny. So you understand what I am about to tell you. So I have problems with circulation in my legs, with knees giving out and feet problems. (this all started in 2010). So the Orthopaedic surgeon says, "I cant help you with your knees right now, you are too young for knee replacement...but I can help you with your feet." So I agree to bi-lateral foot surgery for removal of bunyans  and straightening of my hammer toes. Both at the same time and a lot of pain later. All my toes were wired and joints fused together. As I healed up and was walking without pain, I noticed my baby toe was overlapping the other toe beside in my left foot. So time comes and the surgeon says to me that we can now do that needed knee replacement. I thought this was a great time to complain about my baby toe and see if he could fix it straight. So off to surgery, he fixes my baby toes first and then to the knee replacement. He cut too deep into the baby toe and while he was replacing my knee sees a serious problem. When I woke from anesthetic he gives me three alternatives to my baby toe. One: cut off the baby toe. Two: set leaches on my baby toe to suck out all the blood pocketing in my toe or three: put me on blood thinners and no physio for one week to see if the corpusles in my toe will take over to replace severed arteries and veins. I chose option three. Now, I am healing fine and time to start physio for my new knee replacement. I cant do anything. Home by myself and physio therapist coming to my house, cant understand why I cant do the simple exercises. The pain was intolerable but I persevered until next Drs appt. At that appt 1 month later, it is discovered that my knee cap was not secured and now floating in the back of my knee. Back into emergency surgery. The outcome, one year later the ultra sounds and xrays show I have four cysts growing on my knee cap. But, we cannot fix it because I need this GB first. So we jus****ch and compare the sizes of these cysts. Have you ever heard of such a calamity like this. But I have straight feet, not nearly the pain in walking like I put up with before, strong left knee and circulation in my lower legs is good.

nellie67
on 6/8/15 12:41 pm

By what you went through, I'm certainly happy you have a strong knee and good feet. 

I wonder if the cysts won't be bothersome as you become slender. 

Most Active