Medicare and revision from band to RNY.

Karen R.
on 5/8/15 8:13 am - Amelia, OH
Revision on 09/10/15

Curious...I was banded in 2010, lost 50 lbs, started having GB problems with constant vomiting. I had my GB out but the vomiting continued, I went to the ED and they couldn't find anything wrong. So for over a year I put up with constant nausea and vomiting, had to eat something constantly to keep the nausea away (regained all my weight). My PCP referred me to a new surgeon who unfilled my band. I really don't think the band is right for me and want to revise to RNY. My Question...will Medicare make me jump through all those hoops again or will a letter from the surgeon do?

Karen

Ht: 5'3"/Pre-Band Weight:256/Revision to RNY 9/10/15-Weight: 219--GW: 115--CW 105

Kathy S.
on 5/9/15 10:17 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi Karen,

Call the number on the back of your card and talk to someone in benefits. Get confirmation they will pay for the surgery and what if any qualifications they have.  Good Luck to you

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

E C.
on 5/11/15 6:10 pm

I have a Medicare insurance replacement plan...Medicare rules required but my co-pays, etc are better.  I just had a conversion from sleeve to bypass with hiatal hernia repair but it was done for medical reasons...GERD and narrowing of sleeve at mid stomach...food getting stuck and needing to vomit.  I had already lost my weight.  My Dr and Medicare did not make me go thru a pre WLS program.  I guess it would depend on whether they felt it was for other medical issues or for WL.

Karen R.
on 5/12/15 5:17 am - Amelia, OH
Revision on 09/10/15

I tried calling the number on the back of my Medicare card and all I got was "non-committed" answers. They could not promise me any thing.  I have an appointment with the surgeon in two weeks and I am going to ask him if he will file for pre-approval and see what happens.

Karen

Ht: 5'3"/Pre-Band Weight:256/Revision to RNY 9/10/15-Weight: 219--GW: 115--CW 105

Most Active