Revision from Open RNY to What????

tochatty
on 4/14/15 2:36 am - Scottsdale, AZ

I am trying to research waht is the best form of revision after Open RNY.  I had my surgery 15 years ago have gained 90 back, have been struggling to lose this weight for the last four years now and just not sure where to turn.  I am much older now and concerned about my health even more so when I was 27 and had the surgery.  I am trying desperately not to get back to my pre surgery weight but think I need to figure out my opitions of revision. 

Sevearl years ago looked into revision with band over bypass, revision of the pouch, each time I find a surgeon they end up leaving the practice and moving and so then I figured okay maybe revision was not the way to go.  

What types of revision surgery has everyone had if you had the Open RNY first?  

Thanks

Tochatty (Jennifer) in AZ
Open RNY 07/2000
SW 336, Lowest Weight 185, CW 272
Seeking Revision GBS

Barbaraziegler1
on 4/14/15 10:08 am

I just got a approval today from a open RNY 2001 to a revision duendenal switch, repair of hernia and esophagus flap.  Surgery date June 22 2015. 

keepmenmind
on 4/15/15 12:20 am - Atlanta, GA
Revision on 06/02/15

What all did you have to get done to get approved for a revision?

Barbaraziegler1
on 4/22/15 2:38 am

Hello, sorry it has taken me so long to reply.

We have a new great grandbaby that has been in nicu..  First thing I did was make  a appointment to see Dr Stephen Boyce here in Knoxville. He ordered a upper gi and a swallow test. He then did blood work and sent me for a mental evaluation. They gave me all my results. It is my understanding that the insurance company will only pay for a revision if there is something wrong with your first surgery. Or wasn't enough weight loss from first surgery. And if there were other medical problems. He applied with Cigna and they turned me down because Tennova at Turkey Creek is not a bariatric center of excellence. I also have medicare which approved it within 2 days. You may need to check with your insurance company to see why they turned you down. I had no idea. I just received a letter saying it was not a covered benefit. But after talking with them it was only turned down because of the hospital I had chosen. They didn't tell me that in my denial letter. Hope this helps. Surgery Date June 12. Sorry trying to type this on my cell phone. Good luck.

Butterfli2005
on 4/15/15 7:12 am

How?? What reasons did you give insurance? I am about to appeal a denial with my insurance and need all the ammo I an get!

mornings
on 4/14/15 12:56 pm - Canada

hello  just wanted to say I had a sleeve 2 yrs ago  ,  didn't get the  weight loss expected ,  im now having  a RNY open  on may 26th   they wont close me there gonne pack me and let me heal from the inside out ,  im so hoping it will not slow down the weight loss ,  I hope I will be up and moving soon afterwards  wondering how long perhaps did it take you to fully recover ?

MsBatt
on 4/17/15 6:34 am

The form of revision for a failed RNY with the best long-term, maintained weight-loss stats is conversion to the Duodenal Switch. However, there are only a handful of surgeons capable of performing this most complex revision. You most likely would have to travel to get this surgery. 

Barbaraziegler1
on 5/12/15 9:52 am

Luckily one of the top revision surgeons is here in my home state. Dr. Stephen Boyce Knoxville, TN. 

The4hoops
on 3/17/16 5:59 pm

hi tochatty;

my name is ginger love...

it sounds like we had our surgeries about the same times. i had the open rny as well at around 1999/2000;

i weighed around 406 and within my first yr i got down to 206; so i was granted my panni to get done. as the yrs

past by i would notice i would start gaining 1 lb a month and didn't think nothing of it. so by the time i was

done with working after 10plus yrs i've gained 116lbs again. this and my seizures which was part of the reason

why i had to quit put me into a depression. i was back to where i was when i was at 406. i'm 5'7" and supposedly

my ideal bmi weight is to between: 118-160. when i had my first bypass and got down to 206 i felt like i was anorexic

to me if i get to 206 and was able to get the excess surgeries done i might be able to get down to 175-180. as it is i'm under stress

waiting for approvals for this now, trying to get on social security. as for the open rny; if my hubby's insurance lets me do the open rny

i would redo that one, i lost the most weight; didn't have any complications with the surgery, so for me that would be my choice; but its the dr's and insurances this time in order for me to get a revision done. good luck to you. ginger love

Most Active