Revision from RNY to VSG

Marianne H.
on 4/12/15 10:40 pm - Alanson, MI
Revision on 03/31/15

On March 31st I underwent a revision from a RNY to VSG due to massive reactive hypoglycemia and severe iron malabsorption. It was a rough ride. The surgeon identified a large hiatal hernia and repaired that during my procedure. I awoke in postop feeling okay but within the next few hours became sicker and sicker. The next morning a leak was identified and I underwent a second procedure to repair it. I am doing much better today, however, this has been a very hard recovery for me. BUT.... no reactive hypoglycemic episode yet. And no reflux! I am also losing some regain in a hurry too! SW 224 Postsurgical 238, Today 212# Life is good :)

ShebasMom
on 4/13/15 7:38 am, edited 4/13/15 7:45 am
Revision on 07/05/16

Congrats on the surgery. If you had reflux before, you may want to find the "sweet spot" on the amount you can consume before you have reflux symptoms. I wanted a sleeve, but my severe GERD is why I did the rny. My GERD improved, but did not go away. I've had it most of my life.

karoot2
on 4/14/15 3:54 am

i would like to keep in contact with you. I am meeting with the surgeon on  04/23 to discuss all of this as she too is planning on doing a rny to VSG on me due to massive hypoglycemia . how long was you in surgery? was your hernia up in the diaphram as I too have one and want to discuss with surgeon about fixing this as well.

Marianne H.
on 4/14/15 4:24 am - Alanson, MI
Revision on 03/31/15

Hi there!  So glad I can help.  When I was researching I found almost nothing about this and thought my surgeon was crazy at first.  The hiatal hernia was high in the diaphragm.  I had been having big loud hiccups and major reflux prior to RNY. My revision surgeon fixed the hernia and believes this was here prior to the RNY and that my original surgeon just ignored it. I was in the OR for 2 hours.  Now at 14 days out I am feeling very well.  No low sugars.  No dumping.  I've lost #28. This will help you! Friend me 😊

karoot2
on 4/14/15 4:33 am

just sent you a friend request.

TanyaRN
on 4/18/15 1:33 am - Palm Bay, FL

I am 11 years out RNY and have issues with RH as low as 30's. I am taking meds to prevent that at the moment and have way less episodes. It may be issue with actual pancreas, rather than just dumping

Marianne H.
on 4/18/15 1:41 am - Alanson, MI
Revision on 03/31/15

I have had zero dumping or RH since my revision.  No acarbose or octreotide needed. This was my cure.

Most Active