Self Pay Revision from VSG to DS, Questions....

cbennett29679
on 4/12/15 12:17 pm

Hello All,

New to the forum, so please excuse any ignorance.  I had a VSG in 2013.  Lost 70lbs, have since regained 20 of that.  Would like to get out of the obese category, and going the wrong direction.  Looking into a DS in Mexico.  Good reviews for Dr. Ungson in Mexicali, but it costs $9k.  Also looking at Dr. Ponce with Mexico Bariatric Center in Tijuana, costs approx. $7k. Looking for any insight/opinions you can give.

Thanks!

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 4/12/15 12:22 pm

For the DS, there is only one surgeon to go to in MX and that is Ungson. 

airbender
on 4/12/15 7:35 pm

if you are looking into having a DS in MX, what Amy said, only Ungson.  Do you know why you gained?  was your vsg performed properly?  Does it need to also be adjusted?  have you had an UGI?  you may need to have your vsg resleeved at the same time, for sure go to Ungson if MX is your only choice.

If you have a specific question for me, PM me or I will not see it, as I don't check responses on the forums and don't have anything forwarded to my email.

(deactivated member)
on 4/15/15 8:28 am - LA

Hi.  I also had VSG in 2013.  I'm scheduled for DS with Dr. Ungson on 6/18/15.  Mexicali Bariatric Center has been amazing.  They answer all calls and emails promptly.  Dr. Ungson is a vetted surgeon and I've heard nothing but great things about him!!!  Dr. Ponce has been known for not giving patients a true DS.  He gave one of my OH friends a SADI.  

cbennett29679
on 4/16/15 11:20 am

I don't know all the lingo yet, sorry.  What is vetted (veteran?) and what is a SADI?  Thanks for the help.

(deactivated member)
on 4/16/15 12:58 pm - LA

Vetted = Veteran Surgeon SADI = The SADI-S is a type of duodenal switch with a single anastomosis. Not the true DS.

Ellie4me
on 4/21/15 8:54 am

I'm also scheduled for revision from VSG to DS with Dr. Ungson.  I had my sleeve in 2012 and did great, lost 100 lbs.   I slowly gainned a little back but then lost my dear mom and ate a lot of sugar and stopped exciting.  Then the weight really came back.  I tried diet pills, shakes again, etc. but still couldn't loose the extra weight.   I hope that having the two surgeries separately the DS part will be a little easier.  I hate that I have to do through surgery again and really nervous this time.

Just want to go back to where I had worked so hard to get to and then stay there forever.

cbennett29679
on 4/21/15 10:41 am

Good luck to you!! I still have not decided on a doc. When is your surgery? Please post again and let me know how it goes. We are both in about the same place and I would love to follow your progress. I haven't set a surgery date yet. I'll be  cheering for you!!

Ellie4me
on 4/21/15 11:20 am

My surgery is scheduled for the 30th.  I haven't told anyone.  I need to buy the ticket but I have the time off from work all cleared.  I just need more information and from those who've been through it.  Keep me updated on your progress.

WestTexasGal
on 4/25/15 2:06 am

I'm also scheduled for a revision from VSG to DS with Dr. Ungson on the 30th.  Pretty much the same story. I had a VSG in 2012 (in the US) and did really well and lost about 60 lbs in the first 6 months. I only had about 20 to go, but then I just got comfortable and didn't pay a lot of attention to what I was eating. I had been so sure that I'd never gain it back!  But I did.  Part of it was having to go on Lyrica, but mostly it was my fault.  I really wish that I didn't have to do this, but I'm determined to get to a healthy weight! 

Most Active