Band removed yesterday

mello93
on 4/7/15 1:10 am

hello everyone, i was scheduled for band to bypass revision yesterday. The band and port had grown into my liver and caused a large amount to scar tissue. Needless to say, they couldn't do the revision. My Dr. Doesn't think he can make a good "pouch" for bypass because of it. He thinks  the sleeve will work. I'm scheduled for the surgery on May 11. I'd really love to hear some stories about your band to sleeve revision.  Has the revision to the sleeve been a successful. I thank you for all your help and input. Take care!

nursejacq
on 4/7/15 1:51 am

Hello there!

Question for you, mello... did you feel any sort of right sided pain/discomfort, or any signs/symptoms that you had the issue with the band fusing with your liver?  I would think that if you had any diagnostic preop testing done, it would have shown elevated liver enzymes, or any image testing (MRI, CT, or ultrasound) would have shown that this was an issue... I am truly sorry that you are going through this!

mello93
on 4/22/15 3:50 am

Hi nursejacq!  I did have pain and discomfort.  However, I think my experience echoed alot of band patients.  I visited 3 bariatric doctors, all indicated there was no issue with my band or port.  I was told to eat less, drink more fluids, and take it easy on the exercising for a week or two (to "cure" the side pain).  They indicated all testing came back normal.  I finally found a doctor that showed interest in my concerns and found my port was flipped and had caused damage to my muscle and tissue and also band erosion.  He was aware of these going into the surgery but the damage and scar tissue was worse than they thought.  I'm glad to be on the back end of it all and look forward to my upcoming surgery.  Thank you for your kind words, hope you have a great day.

Hislady
on 4/7/15 1:02 pm - Vancouver, WA

Unfortunately it often happens that damage can not be seen no matter what testing is done pre op. That is part of the tragedy of the band, it does so much unseen damage. The horrors it causes many times can't be seen until the surgeon is inside and can move organs around some. It is sad but there are thousands of us who have been damaged by the lapband.

boxtop2006
on 4/21/15 5:54 am
RNY on 03/24/15

Hi Mello,

I had my lapband for 5yrs.  I kept having pain on my left side and sometimes on my right side.  I went to the ER

Numerous times telling them I thought something was wrong with my lapband.  I even went an hour away to a bigger ER, each time they would do a CT Scan and x-rays and tell me everything looked fine and send me home.  I would cry once I was in my car and tell my husband I was never going back because the doctors all thought or at least made me think it was all in my head.  I finally heard about this wonderful bariatrics doctor and went to him.  He does all fills under x-ray, at that apt he had me drink some barium and told me I had band erosion.  He scheduled me for a endoscopy and from there I was in having my band removed.  My band had eroded over 50% into my stomach!  I had major complications after the band was removed, 3 different infections (2 in two of my incisions and 1 in my stomach cavity).  We had to open up the incisions and let them heal from the inside out.  What was suppose to take 2 weeks to heal took over 2.5 months.  My doctor didn't want to do a revision until he knew I was all in the clear.  So fast forward to 1yr later, I have now had Gastric bypass (RNY) and healed wonderfully from the surgery.  I am only 4 weeks out but I am so glad I made the decision to go through with another surgery.  I wish you the very best of luck on what ever you decide to do!

Consult: 235 Surgery: 209 Current: 158.5 Goal: 140     

mello93
on 4/23/15 5:51 am

Thank you for sharing your story with me.  It's seems like stories like ours are common with the band.  I'm sorry you had to go through so much to get a resolution.  I'm very happy your journey is on the up swing and that you are making progress!  Hope you have continued success and happiness!  Take care!! 

Most Active