3rd time BETTER be the charm!

nursejacq
on 4/4/15 5:25 am, edited 4/4/15 5:53 am

Hello to everyone else here--

My name is Jacqueline, and admit it... I have been a lurker on several boards now over the past year, during which I have been extensively researching possible revisions for my band over bypass clusterf*ck of a situation. I figured it was about time I said hello to the people that have been helping me so much (whether they knew it or not).

MY STORY:
First of all, let me just say that I am a medical professional that has done extensive research on all of the available revision procedures, and feel like the duodenal switch would be the best option for me, both given my health history, relatively young age, and active lifestyle. The success rates, both in terms of weight loss, and its permanence, have been better for duodenal switch patients... not to mention their improved overall quality of life.  All that said, I have Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Illinois for my insurance, and under the explanation of benefits, it stipulates SPECIFICALLY that the DUODENAL SWITCH is definitely NOT COVERED... so this is/will be a self pay endeavor/investment for me.

I have had both RNY gastric bypass surgery in 2000, and lap band placement done in 2008. I stand 5'2", and at my heaviest in 2000, I weighed as much as 250 lbs. After having RNY gastric bypass surgery, my lowest weight was 145 lbs, in 2005.

My concern is that I am have been actively exercising with a trainer twice a week, and I limit my carbohydrate intake; yet, I have
managed to creep up back around 200 lbs again. I have also developed an increase in my blood pressure, along with the weight gain.

It is for these reasons, and a few others, that I am seeking a revision to the duodenal switch surgery. I am aware that the DS is a
complicated procedure, especially after having had other abdominal surgeries in the past. I had been communicating with Dr. Michel Gagner's office in Montreal regarding my revision surgery, as I understand that he is an expert at handling cases like mine. However, Dr. Gagner has returned back to his native Canada in the past few years (or so I'm told), and according to his practice manager, he is unable to accommodate American patients "for insurance reasons." Given that I will be going into this as a self-pay patient, I can only think that this is in regard to his malpractice insurance...? The same practice manager told me in mid-December that he plans on beingable to take American patients "sometime in the first quarter of 2015," which sounds nice, but I am serious about this surgery, and felt the need to develop an alternative plan, in the event that things didn't work for him to be able to accommodate me in the foreseeable future... and so far, he hasn't.

Which brings me to now... I have seen a handful of people that have had revision surgeries in Mexico, some of whom I have attempted to contact, hoping to get some feedback from them regarding their experiences. Believe it or not, out of five or six people that I emailed directly **because they posted their email addresses on the forums for people to ask questions**, I heard from ONE person.

Equally frustrating is finding a surgeon that is able to perform a revision from Band over Bypass to a DS... I researched, and even spoke with a number of the "vetted" American surgeons that perform the procedure, and they were either reluctant to do the procedure on me because I am such a "lightweight" (YEAH, RIGHT), or their price wasn't in my range... I am TRULY jealous of those who have the opportunity to take advantage of the awesome DS surgeons that we have here in the US.

More and more time went by, during which I had been exhaustively researching my options, knowing that the warmer weather is just around the corner, and I would like to look forward to having a summer where I don't feel so blimpy, for lack of better words.

I am excited to say that I have made arrangements to have my revision surgery on April 15... it will be a one step lap revision of my BAND over BYPASS to a DS, along with a cholecystectomy, to be proactive. Needless to say, I have been frantically getting my supplement game together, along with all the other key factors that can ensure a smooth recovery, like trying different protein supplements, ordering what I like, and enough of it that I can get my requisite amount of protein in from the beginning.

I wanted to make sure that I took the time to thank each and every one of the participants on this forum for sharing their valuable insights with everyone... I have appreciated all of the kind words, insights, stories, and everything that everyone on these boards has shared... not sure what I'd do without you!

Hislady
on 4/4/15 11:15 am - Vancouver, WA

Here's hoping everything goes smoothly for you. The band is a joke but the DS is supposed to be a great surgery. Hope you sail thru with flying colors.

DeeDee83
on 4/5/15 7:54 am

I wish you the best on your journey.  Keep us posted!

rheno333
on 4/5/15 8:46 am

Hello my name is Janet, Dr. Gagner did my RNY back in 1999. I love him...is he doing your revision?

mornings
on 4/5/15 10:02 am - Canada

I believe whatever you decide for  yourself your gonna  do just great  welcome back to the boards  wishing and sending you all the best in your choices

Thundergrrrl
on 4/5/15 3:36 pm

Good luck!! Where did you end up deciding to go? I went to Mexico for my band to sleeve revision and it was flawless. I know Mexicalibariatric has a great reputation and one of their doctors specializes in DS. But I assume you've got your surgeon picked out. 

I truly hope 3rd time is a charm for you. It must suck to have been through so much and keep regaining. 

Highest Wt: 274 / LAP-Band Low: 180 / Sleeved at 233 / Goal: 160!

Nancee
on 4/5/15 5:27 pm

Did you find a surgeon in Mexico to do your revision? I too am needing a revision but I have a sleeve. I only lost 60 pounds of which i have gained 30 back. I am wanting a DS because I dont want to have to go through this again. I feel it is my best option. 

~Nancee~     
nursejacq
on 4/7/15 1:32 am, edited 4/7/15 1:33 am

Thanks to all for the well wishes, warm words, and concern... I will be sure to keep you all posted!

I am just over a week away from surgery... and I am ecstatic... especially at the idea of getting this *&%@ band CUT OUT OF ME!!  I can truly say that I regret having it put in... I have seen all of the drawbacks from it, and NONE of the benefits... even up until last night, when I saw the first few bites of my dinner come right back up... I will not miss that feeling!

suzanneh
on 4/10/15 8:26 am - NY

Hi Nursejacq 

I am looking forward to hearing about your experience...I can't wait until my lap-band gets cut out too!!!

Zee Starrlite
on 4/7/15 7:27 am, edited 4/7/15 7:27 am

So Gagner is doing your surgery?  I know he is a great surgeon but he is a sort of like "where is Waldo" type of guy for many years.

Also, your surgeon is able to do your surgery in  a 1 step procedure???  The Band removal is tricky - never know what they will find and how safe it is to proceed.    Band removal is basically a very fragile and tedious dissection.  Next is taking your pouch down and making a sleeve - biggy! Then putting together and re-routing an old bypass.  I've heard intestines being referred to as "tissue like . . . as in toilet paper- fragile".  Sometimes surgeons give you a big ambitious presentation and then they can't deliver the goods.  I think lately Gagner has done this.  People end up with sleeves and need a 2nd round.

I wish you only the best,

Layla

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Most Active