Revision Surgery after gastric bypass?

Mikasenoja
on 4/2/15 2:27 am

Hello, I had my gastric bypass in Dec. 2004; I went from 265 lbs to 150lbs in about a year and a half. I am now in 2015 back up to 205lbs. I am 43 now, so hormones and all of that has kicked in. In the last three weeks,  I had a CAT scan and EGD to look at why all of a sudden in the last three years I was regaining weight. My testing discovered that reux limb had adapted to absorb carbo's as a result, the opening entrance to my pouch had stretched. This can happen to about 30%-40% of gastric bypass patients after 8-10 years from surgery. I am scheduled to do the Overstitch Procedure within the 8 weeks to try to lose about 40lbs. Other then that, my gastric bypass tool works great other than the opening stretching over time, which now the procedure is to go in and hand sew it or overstitch it without using the old staples that was used 10 years ago in most gastric bypass. The overstitch procedure is not an evasive surgery and is only one night hospital stay; the same scope that is used in EGD is used for this procedure.  I recommend this for people who need less than 50lbs to use after weight starts coming back on and you don't want to wait until it is all piled back on again.

Lois M.
on 4/24/15 12:40 pm - Anchorage, AK

I had a revision last week.  I wasn't intending on having one.  I had a paraesophageal hernia that was causing chest pain, shortness of breath.  I also had chronic ulcers, barretts esophagus, and gerd.  I had my original surgery in 2001.  When they did the surgery they found out that the pouch was protruding into the esophagus and pressing on the chest so they removed the part that was protruding. I ended up with a partial gastrectomy.  I am not sure what procedure was used.  My doctors hasn't really said.  He said the pouch was made smaller.

Most Active