Revision Surgery after gastric bypass?

Hislady
on 3/24/15 9:35 am - Vancouver, WA

Probably the main reason there are so few answers is because there aren't many if any really successful revision surgeries out there. From what I have read here and on other forums is that STOMAPHYX and ROSE procedures have not really panned out as far as was hoped. You may initially lose 20-30 lbs but that is about it. There is hope for the APOLLO system but that hasn't been out long so no long term results. So unless your stoma is stretched or your pouch is extremely stretched there is really nothing very promising at the moment. Your best bet it is to completely overhaul your eating and go back to your calorie and protein numbers for weight loss and work what you have. That would mean back to around 800 calories and 60+ oz of protein and 64+ oz of water in other words truly back to basics. The honeymoon period is long gone so now you will have to white knuckle again.

I might add some therapy would also be good so you can determine how you regained so it doesn't happen again because it can and will anytime you let things slip.

nln01862
on 3/24/15 10:34 am

Hi,

I had an RNY revision just last week.  My original rny was in 2007, I lost 110lbs in 15 months, had a hysterectomy and the weight gain started back up.  I have regained 70 lbs, while dieting.  The revision was approved after I completed the insurance requirements.  I believe the procedure was going to a distal rny from a proximal rny.  My pouch was made smaller than the original and a smaller stoma.  I also had alot of scar tissue that needed to be cleaned up.  It was a 5 hour surgery, but all went well.  I don't know what to expect from this, it could be like the original rny, or i may not have a good loss.  On my 2 week liquid diet, I lost 4 pounds, nice! lol  I came home from the hospital 12lbs more than what i weighed when i went in......... fluids, i know, but my body is still crazy.  I lost the fluid gain, plus 8 lbs as of today.  I'm able to get my water and protein in, with little sips.  That part is easier because i knew what to expect.  If anyone has any other questions that i didnt cover, feel free to send me a message!!

penny9/27
on 3/25/15 11:39 pm - danbury, WI

how hard was it to get approved?  I don't have the same insurance so I think it's going to be a long road to get done.  I lost over 130 pounds rny but 2 yrs ago I had a bowel obstruction (my 2) and things are  bigger now. I work out do what I am suppose to do I see no end in sight.  I guess I see.

nln01862
on 3/26/15 7:31 am

My actual approval was quick, like 5 days, the dr office was shocked.  They told me to expect 4-6 weeks.  I did have to do a 4 month supervised diet, so I went to the Dr's nutritionist and joined weigh****chers.  I also went to the gym.  My insurance required the 4 months, so I would check that first and contact the surgeon.  Having to do it over is alot to deal with, but if you need to do it, start now!!!

ShebasMom
on 3/27/15 11:07 am
Revision on 07/05/16

I'm waiting on insurance approval for a distal rny. My pouch has good restricition, so rerouting my intestine a lot more distal is all I will have done.  Do you know what your common channel is?  My surgeon at Duke does 150 to 200cm common channels.  We've discussed 125-150cm. 

nln01862
on 3/27/15 11:43 am

Hi, my doc said he added 70cm.  I hope he did enough!  Is he giving you a clue what to expect for weightloss??

ShebasMom
on 3/29/15 12:21 pm
Revision on 07/05/16

I'm needing some clarification. You said he "added" 70 cm.  Was that amount he is furthered your original bypass? How much were you bypassed originally?  I was originally bypassed 150 cm.  The malabsorption will end at 18-24 months.

The distal I'm having is measured differently from the original bypass (which is measured from the stomach). My distal will be measured from the large intestine (like the DS).  The amount of permanent malabsorption will vary. It will help me with maintenance due to my slow metabolism.

Any revision will give a slower weight loss. My doc feels I can lose down to a BMI of 27. I will be happy to maintain with that. It's better than losing to BMI of 29.9 and gaining back to BMI of 36 and having a resting metabolic rate of 1500 calories!

saburli
on 8/4/15 8:29 am - Boise, ID

How has it gone? Was it what you needed? I am considering revision and wonder what your experience has been like. Update please? :). Thank you

nln01862
on 8/9/15 5:49 pm

Hi,  I have had a bit of a rough time.  I developed strictures and an ulcer at about 2 1/2 weeks post op.  I have mainly been on fluids for 4 months.  I am down 50lbs, which makes up for it.  My dr said out of all the complications I could of had, this was the best one to have.  Just this week, i have started to have a little food.  The past 2 months weight loss has been slow, hoping to kick up the exercise now, had to be careful of dehydrating.  Aside from all that, gettng that weight off is great, and I feeel good.  Where are you in your process??

saburli
on 8/9/15 7:49 pm - Boise, ID

I am looking into the different procedures and doctors both here in the U.S. And even considering going to Mexico for revision surgery. From all I've read getting DS Duesensl switch is the most successful. Is that what you had done? I had RNY gastric bypass 8 yrs ago

Most Active