I beleive that I need to have a Revision, How do I get started?

MsBatt
on 3/19/15 10:02 am

I know a couple of people who have, but I know one of them had a botched procedure first time around, and the other one will tell you herself that 99% of her problems were due to no nutritional education and eating everything in sight. What, specifically, do you think is mechanically wrong with your DS? Have you contacted your original surgeon? That's where I think you'd need to start.

(deactivated member)
on 4/8/15 7:29 am - los angeles, CA

I did contact him and am waiting for a reply.  

wahamilton530
on 3/19/15 10:25 pm - Calumet City, IL

What is DS?

wahamilton530
on 3/19/15 11:12 pm - Calumet City, IL

Disregard, I figured it out...thanks anyway! 

Ladytazz
on 3/20/15 1:40 pm

Unfortunately steriods are a known cause of weight gain, WLS or not.  I'm not too sure what a revision could do about that.

Have you spoken with your surgeon?  Really, with a DS there are only 2 things they could revise.  They could make your sleeve smaller and/or shorten your common channel. 

Your surgeon is kind of known for making his common channels rather long.  Some people do okay with it, although it takes more "dieting".  

I had a revision to my DS nearly 5 years ago.  Even though I had regained 100 lbs my reason for the revision was due to health issues.  Long story short, my configuration caused me to have SIBO, small intestinal bacterial overgrowth.  My common channel was revised to 200 cc from 100 cc and my sleeve was made into a RNY pouch.

My side effects went away completely and with the help of restriction I was able to change my eating and lose all the excess weight.  Part of my regain was also due to medication that had weight gain as a known side effect so I had that going against me, as well.  After my surgery I was able to be weaned off that medication and eventually found a suitable medicine that was weight neutral, not always possible.

This is something you really need to speak to an experienced DS surgeon about and find out what you are dealing with and what your options are.

It sounds like your main issue right now is the steriods and not your surgery.  I won't even pretend to know what can be done about that but I am sure a good DS surgeon would know.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Whit
on 4/8/15 1:53 pm
Revision on 12/10/12

I revised from RNY to DS 12/12. I have lost all of my excess weight. Please feel free to ready my profile page. It needs to be updated but it details my experience.

It has not been an easy road but I am happy and healthy. You need to see a vetted revision surgeon. It is not an easy surgery it is very complicated. 

Not all revisions are made the same. Most Dr's can not revise RNY to DS. I have heard the Apollo overstitch or rose do not have very good long term success rates. Read dsfacts.com for more information on the surgery. Think twice cut once.

Good luck

Revision from RNY to DS 12/10/12 Dr. Ara Kesishian BMI: 19

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Most Active