anyone else having issues with serious heakth cpmlications post RNY?

Shannon41
on 3/9/15 1:28 am - Hamilton, Canada

Good morning. I had a RAY surgery done 6 years ago and I have lost over 240 lbs total and felt great until about 2 years ago when I started having serious problems with what is known as post reactive hypoglycemia and now it is problems with my ferritin levels being in the toilet. I am wondering if anyone else who had their surgery at St Joe's in Hamilton is having the same issues. I am now being seen by an endocrinologist who seems stumped on how to help me and I have crashes that are out of control as well as having to have iron is infusions every two weeks. I swear that I am in worse health now than when I was overweight and feeling extremely frustrated and distressed. Was wondering if anyone may have suggestions or comments? Please keep the negative comments to yourselves I don't need that. I am looking for useful information.

Thanks for helping.

Ginner
on 3/10/15 4:34 pm - Saint Paul, MN

Hello,

Unfortunately I can't say that I have experienced what you are going through. I have gone through the crashes to the point where I have almost passed out. This past year I too have been very ill since I had my surgery in 2007. I was hospitalized in September and they found nothing.. it wasn't till I went back to my surgeon in November and he ran tests and I drank that barium that he found my vitamin levels where barely and I mean barely on the charts and I had what was called a candy cane syndrome. That is when he did my surgery in 2007 he did not cut this tube by my intestines all the way because that is the way they did it in 2007, well this stem grew over 7 years causing severe nausea every time I would eat. The food would go to this pouch and there would be no place for the food to exit so it would sit and rot and there for produce toxins in me. This went on since Jan of 2014 and at that time I weighed 187lbs and had my surgery Jan 2015 cut wide open again and the same diet as in 2007, and I weigh 110lbs. I was wondering if you have gone to your surgeon?? To me, and I am by NO means a doctor, you are missing some major protein or something like that in your diet. This obviously is not going to be an overnight fix which I am sure you know, but I would really try your surgeon.. I did when everyone gave up on me. I wish you well. Hugs to you 

Chilipepper
on 3/11/15 12:33 am

Why in the heck would anyone here give someone who is sick negative comments.  You just insulted everyone who is here to help.  Reactive Hypoglycemia is sometimes a side effect of RNY. You might have better luck posting this on this RNY board that is read by more people, a lot dealing with your issues. 

You also owe your fellow postops an appology. The negative comments are usually reserved for the people eating tacos 1 week postop or candy 3 days postop. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Shannon41
on 3/11/15 1:01 am - Hamilton, Canada

I apologize, it was not meant to insult anyone, I was in another forum where I witnessed a lit of negativity and ugly comments. I am new here so I just put that as I am looking for positive comments. 

Ladytazz
on 3/11/15 1:48 pm

I hope you have been getting iron infusions for your ferritin issue.  I've had 2 so far and my hemotologist is very proactive and keeping an eye on things before they get too out of hand.

I guess I got lucky with the reactive hypoglycemia.  The first couple of years I had some serious episodes.  One time my blood sugar was in the 30's.  Very scary.  Then, as quick as they came, they left.  I haven't had an episode in a long time.  I've felt close and I keep good protein/carb snacks handy to head them off.  I also keep a meter with me and check whenever I feel concerned.

I think either it ran it's course with me, thankfully, or I just eat right.  I avoid sugar and refined carbs and eat high protein and often.  Maybe that is the right combination for me.

Good luck.  I hope they get some answers for you.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Shannon41
on 3/11/15 11:07 pm - Hamilton, Canada

Thank you, yes, I have been getting iron infusions now for the last 4 months every two weeks. It is hard to get those numbers u and stable.   I have an amazing family doc who is helping me with a lot of this.  

Right now with dieticians we are trying to strike the correct balance of what will keep my sugars at a normal rate.  I have been known to drop below 2.0 on occasion (Canadian version). Sorry not sure what the USA numbers would be.  

Sugars are gone from my diet too. Docs have me on arcabose to help process carbs. Thanks for your response. It is good to hear I am not the only one who has this issue. I love hearing suggestions that may help me out. Much appreciated.

Laura in Texas
on 3/12/15 1:18 am

If you click on the search button at the top of the page and search "reactive hypoglycemia" you will see a lot of posts on the subject. A lot of people have it and learn to manage the symptoms. Good luck.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Shannon41
on 3/12/15 1:32 am - Hamilton, Canada

Thanks, this was something that the surgeons here never indicating was a risk and even my endocrinologist doesn't know much and is struggling to figure out how to help. I much appreciate the link. Have a great day.

Marianne H.
on 3/19/15 4:33 am - Alanson, MI
Revision on 03/31/15

I'm in the same boat.  Have massive anemia and need iron infusions frequently.  Also have terrible RH. Acarbose didn't help and neither did octreotide. I'm having a revision to a VSG on 3/31/15.

Shannon41
on 3/19/15 4:45 am - Hamilton, Canada

What is a revision? 

Most Active