Vitamins

grandmasandy1959
on 2/22/15 2:44 pm
with

Thank you all *****plied to my post.  I guess I am just nervous.  I did not think I would be needing the medical alert but the doctor office I go to said I needed to.  I feel uncomfortable about that but also don't want to be in the situation where I would need it.  I also thought with just a sleeve I wouldn't need the bariatric vitamins but they said I would.  Thanks Again

Hislady
on 2/23/15 12:36 pm - Vancouver, WA

If that is the kind of information your doctor is giving you quite frankly I would find another doc, this one is very poorly educated on different types of surgery and there is really no reason for a medic alert tab even for RNY because if you are in a situation where your life is in danger they are going to do what has to be done to save you, period.

chelle_a_g
on 2/24/15 1:53 am

As an RN, I would recommend the bracelet. It DOES affect the types of tubes (smaller) used in an emergency. Just buy a nice bracelet you like at Things remembered, have the medical symbol put on it, and the info...short and sweet. Your call

MsBatt
on 2/26/15 2:01 am

Time to find a better-informed surgeon. With a Sleeve, you may or may not need extra vitamins---like everyone else, you need to supplement according to what YOUR lab results show. (And yes, you WILL need to get labs run at least one a year for the rest of your life.) 'Bariatric' are usually over-priced and under-good---take Centrum, or the equivalent. Medic alert bracelet? Only if you have some OTHER medical condition!

Ms Shell
on 2/24/15 7:03 am - Hawthorne, CA

While I haven't gotten the bracelet I think it is great for those of us who have been surgically altered...even with the band if someone would to put a tube down your throat knowing there is a reason they should do it gently would be great, or a smaller tube due to sleeve etc.

As for the vitamins I take mine and I just count it as the cost of doing business...

Ms Shell

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

(deactivated member)
on 5/19/15 11:15 am

First, congratulations on your surgery. I understand your concern regarding cost, but trust me... it's a small price to pay. You absolutely MUST do this and be compliant the rest of your life, or things will go downhill fast someday for you. You won't notice it right away, but it'll catch up to you. I can't stand chewables. I just don't like them. They taste like chalk (and trust me, I've tried them all), and I think they're atrocious. I went with Vita4Life, and I've had no issues. I had my surgery back in 2007 and I can safely say that if my labs are in order, the capsules do in fact dissolve. The only thing I do in addition to my multivitamin is I give myself a monthly B-12 injection. This wouldn't be necessary for you though due to your procedure. I had the RNY procedure done. You may want to check them out -- I don't know what I'd do without them.

Most Active