What is a distal gastric bypass for revision?

tysweetpea
on 2/12/15 6:37 pm - NEWMAN, CA

Had rny in 2001 and looking for a revision...doctor that may help with a revision performs distal gastric bypass...what changes would he make?

Make yourself familiar with the angels and behold them frequently in spirit; for without being seen,they are present with you.
~ St. Francis De Sales

MsBatt
on 2/13/15 1:34 am

It just means they'd bypass more of your small intestine, giving you back some malabsorption of calories. Have you also explored the possibility of revising your current RNY to a DS?

tysweetpea
on 2/13/15 4:32 pm - NEWMAN, CA

ic...i am researching the few doctors in my area that take my insurance and are willing to do revisions.  The one that is the closest apparently offered revisions with distal.  what does DS do differently?..maybe this is something that I could convince them to do.  My real choice was Band of Bypass but hard to find someone

Make yourself familiar with the angels and behold them frequently in spirit; for without being seen,they are present with you.
~ St. Francis De Sales

ShebasMom
on 2/13/15 1:17 pm
Revision on 07/05/16

I will be having a rny revision to a distal bypass with a 150 cm common channel. Due to severe GERD, I can not have a DS.  BUT, if GERD wasn't a problem, the DS is what I would want.  Of all the weight loss surgeries, it has the best stats of weight loss and maintenance.  A rny to DS revision is a complicated surgery and should only done by an experienced surgeon. There are only a few in the US that are experienced. 

tysweetpea
on 2/13/15 4:34 pm - NEWMAN, CA

I have always had GERD.  What is the differences for distal vs. DS?  i wonder if distal will give any revision benefit as much as our original rny did.

~ St. Francis De Sales

MsBatt
on 2/14/15 2:49 am

There's about as much intestine bypassed in a distal RNY as there is in a DS, but it's done with different limb lengths, and of course with the distal you'll still have a pouch. DSers have Sleeved stomachs, and so still use their pylorus and part of their duodenum. With a distal, you'll get a lot more malabsorption of calories than with your present RNY, but not exactly the same sort of malabsorption you would with a DS.

shona67
on 4/27/15 1:47 pm - Lancaster, TX

So Howard things going so far with your distal bypass? I had mine done on March 2nd, still learning of what to or what not to eat. Feel free to join our Facebook page "Disat Bypass"

thank you

dixiegirl0601
on 2/20/15 4:40 am

Hi,

Here's my story-

Had my RNY in 2003. Lost 140 lbs down to 220 lbs. Gained every pound back. Had a distal RNY in 2009 at 365 lbs. Lost 105 lbs down to 260 lbs. Never could get any lower. Fast forward to now, I'm hovering at 300 lbs. Wish I had educated myself in 2003 with the DS but I had never heard of it before until my revision in 2009. I let the Dr who did the distal revision and my parents talk me out of revising to the DS.

Main reason why Dr talked me out of it is because he didn't do RNY to DS revisions. I have an appt this Wed with Dr Boyce in Knoxville, TN about doing a RNY to DS revision. I have a backup appt already scheduled for the beginning of March with Dr Elariny in VA if I don't like what Dr Boyce has to say. I will be traveling for both doctors; it's just that Dr Boyce is closer.

I wish you much success, but please don't just settle with a distal. Do more research.

tysweetpea
on 2/20/15 4:46 am - NEWMAN, CA

so with your research you found that there is more success with a DS than a distal? I dont know if I will have a choice if the dr doesnt do anything else and my insurance will only cover certain drs.

~ St. Francis De Sales

dixiegirl0601
on 2/20/15 4:52 am

Definitely more success with a DS. Where do you live? There are only a handful of doctors in the US who do RNY to DS revisions. My recommendation is find one who is closest to where you live then go on your insurance's website or call them to see if that doctor is in your network. I live in NC and Dr Boyce and Dr Elariny who are hours away from me are in my network. Don't rely on whichever doctor you're currently seeing to tell you. If he doesn't do RNY to DS then he's going to sway you to do the distal which is what happened to me in 2009.

Most Active