Lapband to VSG questions on what to expect

rms78645
on 2/11/15 7:54 am

HI everyone, 

I had my Lap Band put in in 01/07 and was very successful. in fact, it was the best thing that I had ever done for myself. I began to have complications and concerns and it was determined that my band had slipped. My Dr was going to take my Band out and perform a VSG at the same time, depending on what he found once my band was removed. He decided to wait the 3 months that he feels is necessary to heal the stomach and scar tissue and I am scheduled to get my Sleeve on the 19th. The food portions and restrictions don't concern me, i have lived within those guidelines for years, its the pain that I am questioning. I am a weeny when it comes to I having pain tolerance and it seems to worsen with age. My band came out on 12/08 and I came back to work on Thursday of that week. I was tired but it was manageable. How much worse is the pain going to be from the sleeve? can anyone tell me? Pain is subjective so I realize its a hard question but I would like to have some insight as to what to expect. I have also gained alot of weight back in the time that it slipped and since its been off. I can't wait to see the scaled go the other way and get back into my wardrobe. 

Thanks

coll26
on 2/14/15 11:44 pm
VSG on 01/30/15

I had it all done in the same surgery, the most painful spot is where the port was removed, he said there was a lot of scar tissue , it took him 1.5 hrs to remove the band! Otherwise the sleeve incision was sore but not bad, I had surgery on 1/30, and returning to work this Wed! Good luck, you should do well!

waterflowers2009
on 2/15/15 6:44 pm, edited 2/15/15 6:57 pm

Hi there:

Looks like your date is coming up.  Exciting!

I had a revision from band to vsg, and actually I had no pain, but what I did have was the gassy feeling-when I woke up and for the next few days.  I had not been prepared for that and did not like it, however, that vs. actual pain-I take the gassy feeling.

I was up and walking around my hospital floor almost immediately.  My doctor kept me in the hospital for almost 3 days, I had low blood pressure.  But that was about it.

I had the band removed-had to wait a little longer-my primarily care physician advocated for me-I waited about 4.5mo then went back in for the vertical sleeve.  My band slipped as well and I had to have emergency surgery to get out, it was causing lots of wonderful issues.  I too had regained weight back, and you too will definitely lose it.!

for me - I like the idea of actually losing the feeling of being hungry all the time-with the band that never happened.  with the vertical sleeve -getting full is so quick-and hunger not so much.

take care!You will do beautifully..

Deborah

Celeste H.
on 2/18/15 11:18 pm - Cedar Park, TX
Revision on 05/12/14

Oh my, we are almost exactly the same. I had the band in February 2008 and lost 163 pounds with it, after 3 slips I had an emergency removal of it on December 26, 2013, and a revision to a sleeve on May 12, 2014. Having a revision was the BEST thing I've ever done! As for pain, I thought I was dying after the band and took the pain meds religiously, only took two doses of the pain meds after the removal (and that was just in case my cats jumped on me at night), and didn't even fill the prescription after the revision to a sleeve!!! I really felt nothing, and the post-op was so easy because I had been through it before. My surgeon is exceptionally conservative and I even added an extra week onto each of his stages, so my liquids lasted a month, mushies for about 3 weeks, etc.

So I think you'll be very pleased with your decision to have a revision. I mean, I can eat CHICKEN now! Wow!!!!

Celeste in Austin, TX  - Licensed Professional Counselor - Clinical Supervisor 
LapBanded February 18, 2008; 3 slips and nearly a death later, had band removal then a revision to VSG on May 12, 2014; best decision ever!!!        

Most Active