Looking into getting revision surgery with Dr. Eric DeMaria in Norfolk, VA

jnchorn
on 2/11/15 7:38 am

Hello there. I had RNY Gastric Bypass in 2010. I found out last November that I have an enlarged stoma that required surgery to fix. My surgeon is Dr. Eric DeMaria with BonSecour. I wanted to see if anyone else has been seen by Dr. DeMaria of anyone else in the BonSecour weight loss clinic. I also wanted to see which of the methods that you might have chosen if any for your weight loss revision. He has mentioned fixing the stoma with stitches or a lap band. I don't believe the DS switch is an option for me. Any input is appreciated.

Thank you!

Charity

MsBatt
on 2/13/15 1:50 am

No, the DS is not an option for you with your current surgeon, because he doesn't do them. However, there are surgeons who can offer you that option, if you're willing to travel. Honestly, you need to decide which surgery is the best for YOU, then choose a surgeon who can do it for you instead of choosing to have whatever surgery your current surgeon wants to do. This will affect the rest of YOUR life, but not his. (*grin*)

rubye
on 2/22/15 3:20 am - Mineral, VA

Hello! I recently had (2/12/15) Dr. Demaria do my revision. He did the over stitch and made my stoma opening smaller. I was the first one he has done this procedure on, but that day I think he did two others after me. You have a fine Dr. in Dr. Demaria. He was even successful in getting my insurance to cover the procedure (Blue Cross/Blue Shield) I now feel restriction and have lost 12 pounds. I am very glad I found him. 

jnchorn
on 2/22/15 3:40 am

Thanks for your reply. Congratulations on 12 pounds! That's great! I have a lot of confidence in Dr. DeMaria, I think very highly of him. Can I ask why you chose the overstitch for your surgery choice? Did you have any trouble with your insurance company covering the procedure. I have a lot of questions about the insurance side of things and the wait but I don't know who to ask. It's hard to have patience. lol

rubye
on 2/22/15 5:53 am - Mineral, VA

Actually it was chosen for me by Dr. Demaria because of the particular problem I had with my stoma. I had no trouble with my insurance company at all, in fact, I was sure they were going to deny it and was ready to pay out of pocket for this procedure. His staff is very skilled at handling all things insurance. I was told Tricare would pay and Blue Cross Blue Shield wouldn't. It was the other way around however. Tricare would not pay, they said they only cover Bariatric procedures once per lifetime. It will be up to Dr. Demaria which procedure is right for your situation. My pouch is and was fine, but the stoma was messed up, too wide. Now I feel restriction and all is well.

jnchorn
on 2/22/15 6:35 am

I have Tricare, and I have heard the same thing. That does concern me. I have just finished my 3 month weight loss trial this week and I now have to wait and see what Tricare has to say since there is a physical problem with my initial surgery. My pouch is also fine from my original surgery. I twas measured to only hold 6 ounces, however the stoma is my issue. I have gained over a hundred pounds in the last 2 years and I am terrified of not receiving help because of insurance issues. Thank you for your input! :)

Pknight
on 1/12/17 5:00 am

I too have Tricare. What was the outcome with Tricare covering your stoma issue?

Most Active