Anyone revise from RNY to VSG?

Marianne H.
on 2/9/15 7:55 pm - Alanson, MI
Revision on 03/31/15

I know, sounds odd , right? I have had good weight loss but lots of oddball problems. Severe iron deficiency, severe reactive hypoglycemia, and recent 20# weight regain. I had an EGD performed where the revision surgeon reported that my stoma is dilated to the full width of my pouch and my pouch is more like a small sleeve. He is planning on revising me to a VSG. Anyone else have this?

MsBatt
on 2/13/15 1:56 am

Who is your surgeon? And exactly what does he intend to do? I ask because most of the time people don't go from an RNY to a VSG, especially if they're fighting regain. It would give you back restriction, but in order to do anything about the iron deficiency he'll have to reverse your intestinal bypass---which will probably also lead to more regain.

Marianne H.
on 2/13/15 2:08 am - Alanson, MI
Revision on 03/31/15

My surgeon is Dr Randal Baker of Grand Health Partners here in Michigan. He's planning on reversing the intestinal bypass and putting my pylorus back on the end of the sleeve I have.  I never had  a true RNY pouch but more of a sleeve according to my EGD.  At 4 yrs out I no longer malabsorb calories and would love to not malabsorb iron. I'm hoping having the pylorus back will return the restrictive feeling and reverse the hypoglycemia.This would also allow me to convert to ds  down the road if needs be. 

Most Active