After having revision is harder to lose

kstring04
on 2/9/15 2:48 am

I had issues with my lap band and now dr wants to do revision to bypass but I want sleeve . I have read that you don't lose as much weight from sleeve. 

coll26
on 2/9/15 10:54 am
VSG on 01/30/15

I am 10 days PO from band to sleeve, I had a f/u visit today with my NUT, she said there is no real data out there that confirms that, I have lost 15.3 lbs since preop diet, she was very pleased w that! I'm a slow loser, so we'll see, any loss is better then a gain ! I would do the sleeve, it's great without the band! Good luck w your decision!

ShebasMom
on 2/9/15 11:31 am
Revision on 07/05/16

The RNY will give you temporary malabsorption that ends between 18-24 months. After that all you have is restriction. With the sleeve all you have is restriction. Initially you will lose faster with the rny, but after 2 years the results are similar.  Also, maintenance is similar. Either one, following the rules will depend on your success or failure. I know several people who have had both surgeries, and those who didn't lose very much did not follow the rules. They did not realize that the surgery is a tool for weight loss, not a magical cure.

Did your doctor tell you why he prefers the rny for you?  Sometimes the band will cause some erosion to the stomach making it unsafe for a sleeve, if removal is done with revision. Some people have the removal done several months before the revision to allow the stomach to heal. 

ShebasMom
on 2/9/15 12:10 pm
Revision on 07/05/16

Also with rny, you can not take NSAIDS due to high risk of ulcers. You cannot drink with meals, as this will flush out your food and make you hungry sooner.  The sleeve removes the gretlin producing hunger hormone in the stomach. The sleeve will worsen GERD. Some people who didn't have GERD before the band, didn't necessarily have worsened GERD with a sleeve.

(My slow metabolism worked against me with my weight loss after I had rny. I am in the process of getting a distal rny (no DS because of severe GERD)with 2 more hurdles. Hopefully surgery will be in March or April) 

nrivera34
on 2/16/15 11:47 am - bridgeport, CT

I had the regular gastric bypass in 2004 and just did the revision surgery again, same procedure on 2/2/15 and so far I have lost 16 pounds, which I think is good. I rather lose it slowly than fast and gain the weight back. Things happened to me over the past ten years that caused me to gain the weight back during that time, but this was my second chance and now I am learning to eat allover again and take better care of myself. Take your time, as long as you have been doing the right things, and stay on track, you will be fine. Good luck !!!!!

Most Active