revision because i lost TOO much weight!

skinnyminny97
on 2/3/15 2:05 pm

I had my RNY back September 2000.  I went from 300 to 135 and then up to 150 and stayed there for about 12 years.  Then I had a hysterectomy and went up to 181.  I found out after the hysterectomy that I my thyroid was off and went on Levothyroxide which brought me back to 155... Then my husband was in a bad motorcycle accident and I developed an ulcer and dropped to 108.  Everything I ate hurt.  I was then taken into the ER and they took me into surgery last October for a revision and had to remove the part of my stomach that was ulcerated.  Now I have no hormone to tell me I am hungry so I have to tell myself to eat but there is nothing I want.  I can't eat fruits and vegetables because of the fiber as they will go right through me.  I am now down to 98 pounds.  I had been so successful.. has anyone else become anorexic??

Houston-Cat
on 2/4/15 9:30 am

I'm not anorexic but I am underweight. Same reason - ulcers. I am getting scoped on Friday and revision surgery to remove the ulcers (if necessary) will be in a couple of weeks. By far ulcers are the most wicked complication I've experienced. Yes - all food hurts right now. That's why I believe I will need the revision to get this under control. You need to push yourself to not only eat but to eat properly. Start with protein shakes and work up from there. If you still can't eat, seek therapy. 98 lbs is NOT healthy! Good luck.

skinnyminny97
on 2/4/15 11:16 am

Protein shakes are a huge NO NO!  They literally go in one in and out the other just as fast!  Diarrhea is a constant problem now!  Before your revision ask your doctor about that!!!  Thank you for your concern though ☺️

Ladytazz
on 2/4/15 10:22 am

I also had a subtotal gastroectomy and I also don't experience hunger, at least in the way I used to.

I did get underweight for a short time but over the last several years I have developed an eating routine that has nothing to do with hunger.  I just plan out my food and eat it, hungry or not.  I look at it like medicine.  I don't have to like it but it helps if I find things I enjoy.

I personally like not being controlled by my hunger.  It helps me make better decisions when it comes to my eating and gives me a lot of freedom as far as what I do as I don't have to plan around what I am eating and when and where.  I have that all taken care of and I can get on with other things.

Get lot's of protein.  I add butter and coconut oil to my protein coffee in the  morning.  I am free with the cream, cheese, butter and other higher fat foods.  I still avoid the refined carbs.  Being a little underweight is not a reason to go hog wild with food or you will find yourself regretting it.  

My lowest at about a year out was under 100 lbs.  Over the last nearly 4 years I have put on about 15 lbs.  I have been very deliberate and slow so it doesn't get out of hand but I also know that the day may come where I might have to, gasp, diet again.  Nothing is permanent and I try to stay flexible.  It's a delicate balance between knowing how much to eat and how much to weigh and most of use eventually will have to decide whether we want to eat more or weigh less.  Right now I am comfortable with both but I also know that the day may come where I will have to choose what is more important to me.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

skinnyminny97
on 2/4/15 11:19 am

Thank you so much! 🌺

Houston-Cat
on 2/4/15 9:11 pm

LadyTazz, you have a very healthy attitude! I'm going to use you for inspiration for my recovery. Thank you! Skinny, I hope you get back with your Dr and get a program together that works for YOU!

Zee Starrlite
on 2/5/15 5:30 am

Are you truly anorexic?  It seems like you have had a lot of physical issues that have caused your weight fluctuations.   But if you are anorexic please get help - I don't suspect you are as you have stated lots of physical issues (hysterectomy/thyroid issues/ulcers/gastrectomy . . .  and geez fiber goes right through you HUGE physical issues!!!) that affect your consumption.  I don't believe anyone could have all the issues you have had and keep a stable weight.

If you have an eating disorder you need to see someone who deals with that specialty.  

All best to you,

Layla

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

skinnyminny97
on 2/9/15 5:14 am

Thank you so much.. maybe it isn't me!!  I can't help that food goes right through me.. THAT is for sure!!!  

MsBatt
on 2/8/15 5:15 am

Before having another surgery, you should talk to your surgeon about pancreatic enzymes to help you absorb more of what you do eat.

skinnyminny97
on 2/9/15 1:54 am

I just wrote to my doctor to request to have all my organ functions tested (bloodwork) and all the other things like protein levels etc seeing I am 4 months post op.  The one thing about what you brought up to mind is that I should be very careful regarding pancreas.. I forgot that one of my grandfathers died of pancreatic cancer!  Thank you for bringing that up!

debb

Most Active