Need Revision of Gastric Bypass

dahtestee
on 2/3/15 9:53 am - Glenn Heights, TX

I had a lapband done in 2004 which was replaced with a gastric bypass in 2010 due to poor results. Since the bypass I lost some weight but never reached my ideal goal. In 2008 I had knee replacement because of severe arthritis and too much weight. I have regained almost all the weight lost . My back, knees and hips are giving me the blues with too much weight and the arthritis. I also have asthma and high blood pressure which makes walking stairs a pain. My problem is finding a surgeon who will do a revision and accepts TriCare Prime insurance in the Dallas, Tx. area.

dixiegirl0601
on 2/4/15 2:06 am

Hi,

My story is similar to yours. I had gastric bypass in 2003 and lost 140 lbs down to 220 lbs. Never could get any lower. Gained every pound back plus more. Had a revision to a distal bypass in 2009 and lost down to 260 lbs. I'm now back up to 295 lbs. My left knee and left leg kill me every day making it difficult to go up stairs. I've become so discouraged and depressed. I've found a doctor in Knoxville, TN (I live in NC) who does revisions from a RNY to a DS, but I'm not sure if mine can be done since I had a revision to a distal bypass. 

There aren't many doctors in the US who do RNY to DS surgeries. You'll probably have to travel. Your best bet is to find the doctors who perform RNY to DS revisions and call them to see who accepts your insurance and call your insurance company to see if they cover bariatric surgery. 

I wish you much success :-)

dahtestee
on 2/4/15 12:37 pm - Glenn Heights, TX

Thank you,

This is so depressing. It took me years to decide to have the weightloss surgery and I am now so disappointed with myself. I know I'm getting older and pain comes with that but, I have to find some relief. I can't stand those commercials with people saying they had the surgery and have lost hundreds of pounds and are able to keep it off. Best of luck to you.

heathercross
on 2/10/15 11:58 pm - New York, NY

My question to both of you is why do you think the 3rd will be successful?  And do you deserve to have a 3rd chance? I am asking this only to start a discussion #nojudgement.  Why did both of your other surgeries fail?  Did they both fail or did you fail the surgeries?

dahtestee
on 2/11/15 1:41 am - Glenn Heights, TX

I don't know what u r trying to imply but not that it's any of your business...the band was replaced due to leakeage. Now, with the RNY, I don't know... I exercise and don't eat a lot... no cakes and such as that... I do have high stress which could be a factor...Now have u had surgery and been successful in keeping the weight off??? If so, good for you... Some of us aren't as fortunate..

heathercross
on 2/11/15 3:16 am - New York, NY

I've had a revision,  I had a gastric bypass in 2002 and a Band in 2011 so I am knowledgeable here. I am just curious when you finally say enough is anout and decide to try an alternate tool?  Bc these obviously aren't working for you.  If I hadn't have gone through a revision I wouldn't be saying what I said.  Have you seen a doctor to find out why your gastric  bypass didn't work?  Did your pouch stretch?  Did it fail mechanically.  If it didn't I am not sure why you'd think a 3rd revision will be the end all be all.  I don't fault you for a band leak but you haven't said why your bypass didn't work and why you've regained.  

MsBatt
on 2/26/15 2:10 am

There can also be metabolic issues involved, Heather. Some of us were just born with high-efficient metabolisms that can run our bodies on fewer calories than 'normal' people need. Also, there have been some recent studies that show some people are simply better at extracting more calories from the foods we eat---this would be like eating a 1000-calorie diet but getting 1500 calories out of it. Dieting's hard enough without a super-efficient metabolism to deal with.

Of all the currently-performed WL surgeries, only the DS 'break's this super-efficient metabolism permanently. Perhaps that's what these posters needed to being with. They didn't fail their surgeries---their original surgeries were inappropriate for their needs.

Pixielf~*
on 2/11/15 10:14 pm - in the forest........., MO
Revision on 09/30/13

I don't think that the poster was needlessly being rude or trying to pass judgement.  I think that it is a valid question that needs answered ...whether or not you want to respond in a pubic forum for everyone else to weigh in on (pardon the pun) that is totally your call, BUT it still needs to be dealt with as it will have a direct impact on you and your continued weight loss .  They bring up a very good point.  Before you head into another possible surgical intervention you need to visit the possible reasons why you are having repeat 'failures' even though the band slippage goes without saying.....  

I know in my case I had a mechanical failure of the surgical site mechanism that was my contributory reason.  

We are here to support each other and sometimes it is easy to get our feelings hurt especially if it is a sore subject.... take everyone's responses as a concentrated effort to try to help..... we do care!

Anything WORTH having is WORTH working for !

dahtestee
on 2/12/15 2:53 am - Glenn Heights, TX

I saw a physician yesterday and there are some medical problems. I have been having pains that I had been just attributing to age but it turns out that I will need surgery.

MsBatt
on 2/26/15 2:11 am

Does ANYONE 'deserve' WLS, period? Does ANYONE 'deserve' a second chance? If so, why would anyone NOT 'deserve' a third chance?

Most Active