RNY Revision to DS Operation Experiences?

Douglas R.
on 1/19/15 4:04 am

I have been searching through the boards and saw a few RNY to DS Conversion nightmare stories about strictures, leaks, PICC lines, feeding tubes, pain and long hospital stays.  If you have had RNY to DS Conversion, please share your story.

Has anyone had the RNY to DS Conversion operation without complications?

I am going to see Dr. K in 2 weeks for my consult.

MamaShelia
on 1/19/15 8:23 am

Doug! 

Good luck to you! I have truly seen more positive experiences posted than otherwise, so keep searching. Hopefully you will get some good replies as I am will be reading them, too! =0)

Shelia

MamaShelia
on 1/19/15 8:36 am

Doug! 

Good luck to you! I have truly seen more positive experiences posted than otherwise, so keep searching. Hopefully you will get some good replies as I am will be reading them, too! =0)

Shelia

Douglas R.
on 1/20/15 4:45 am

Thanks and all the best to you too!

JUSTJUNQUIES
on 1/20/15 7:01 am - Citrus Heights, CA
RNY on 04/04/12

My doc won't do a RNY to DS revision , he also won't do "the flower" to make the stoma smaller. It is VERY frustrating to re-gain weight and be starving after being at goal the gaining 40 .

The only thing he is offering is to bypass more intestine , I thought he already did 150 cm's but now he says he did 100 and can go to 150 ....what a mess . I can't find another doc because of insurance and I do really trust him BUT I don't know why docs don't figure out how much small intestines a patient has before RNY and operate according to that .....sigh

Donna Q. --5'8" -60 years old
Band 2005
hw320 sw276 lw with band 195 gw 160-180? 
Bypass 4/4/2012
pre sw 258 lw RNY 162 cw 203

ShebasMom
on 1/20/15 1:35 pm, edited 1/20/15 1:35 pm
Revision on 07/05/16

Hey, Just Junquies,

I never reached my goal (45 lbs more). I also was a slow loser, losing 100 lbs in 18 months. I maintained that weight for 6 months and then I started gaining (and also very hungry too on 1600 calories!). When I had my 3 year follow-up with my surgeon in Oct I had gained 36 lbs! He sent me to his dietitian. and she put me on a 1200 calorie diet with increased activity.  Over 10 weeks, I lost 3 lbs. My surgeon wanted to start me on medication (there were 3 different ones) to increase my metabolism and reduce my hunger, but all were contraindicated with my Lexapro. So he asked me to continue with the diet (no loss so far) and he believes this would be enough time for my insurance to approve a revision, which will be a distal bypass. Due to continued GERD, a DS is not an option. With my original rny, I was bypassed 150 cm due to my BMI of 50. With the distal, the measurement starts at the end of small intestine towards the stomach (called the common channel) and it will be 150 cm. I believe any diarrhea I might have will be short term due to my lifelong chronic constipation. This length will also give me some permanent malabsorption to help me with maintenance due to my slow metabolism.  Even though I have restriction with 10 oz of food, I will need to be scoped before surgery as per protocol.

There are pros and cons to this revision on this forum (do a search), but this is what is best for me. I hope you will be able to find a solution to your weight gain/hunger soon.

Donna

JUSTJUNQUIES
on 1/21/15 9:02 am - Citrus Heights, CA
RNY on 04/04/12

My doc wants to do a revision also , he is worried about diarrhea , I also have had lifelong constipation !!! I was hoping for DS but my doc doesn't do that .

I hope my insurance co will pay I am getting scoped next week and then they are submitting to insurance , my BMI is only 31 but I have been STRICT dieting for 4 months and gained 4 lbs.

At this point I almost don't care what the cons are !!  

Band 2005
Bypass 4/4/2012

JUSTJUNQUIES
on 1/21/15 9:05 am - Citrus Heights, CA
RNY on 04/04/12

I also am looking at HOW to search here on OH , it used to be up top on the right side ( I haven't been here for a while)

Band 2005
Bypass 4/4/2012

ShebasMom
on 1/21/15 12:15 pm
Revision on 07/05/16

the search is right top, to the left of MY OH.  

I would be concerned if all your surgeon did was bypass you further. You would be in the same boat 18-24 months later when your malabsorption ends.  I am not advocating a distal for you, that would be your decision. It is my best option. If GERD wasn't an issue for me, I would be wanting a DS revision. Good luck in your surgery.  

Donna

Andie
on 1/22/15 9:52 am, edited 1/22/15 9:53 am - FRANKFORT, OH

You say that your insurance has a problem with your changing surgeons....well my other surgeon in Cincinnati doesn't do the DS either and I haven't been able to find one here in Ohio yet, so I may be forced to travel for it...there is a very short list of knowledgeable experienced surgeons on the revision from a RnY to a DS...where do you live?  It looks like on your profile that you are from CA and that is where I am going to go..to Dr. K...he is said to be the best along with a Dr. Rabkin in CA

Most Active