RNY to Sleeve revision at Tufts in Boston?

Penny88
on 1/14/15 11:30 am

I'm new here. I had RNY in 2001, lost 80 of 100 lbs, then after 3years steadily gained back 90. I desperately want a gastric sleeve revision at Tufts in Boston, where I had the RN Y. Does anyone know how long the process from application to surgery is? Any information will be so appreciated!

Penny88
on 1/15/15 1:38 am

It's me again... I just heard from the Tufts bariatric center that THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS RNY TO SLEEVE REVISION. I am sooo disappointed! The best they can do an endoscopy to see if there are leaks in my old rny pouch, then correct that situation later in the operating room. I got the feeling that it is rare to have a fixable problem this far out. ....SIGH.....

MsBatt
on 1/15/15 5:19 am

Actually, they're wrong, it's done quite often---but usually as a part of converting an RNY to a Duodenal Switch. You need to research this option, and talk to some folks who've had it done.

Most likely the reason they're telling you there is no such thing is that 1) they don't have a surgeon who offers the DS, and 2) it would be like taking a step backward in terms of weight loss. You'd be going from a surgery that has a small amount of malabsorption to one that has only restriction. With the full DS, you'd get back the malabsorption you had for the first few months after your RNY, plus a lot more---and it would be permanent, not temporary.

lilbird
on 1/16/15 6:55 am - Cambridge , Canada
RNY on 01/10/13

HI, my Dr. is wanting to do a revision to my rny,  saying a revision to a sleeve....not saying anything about a DS.. does anyone know much about this... is that what a revision to sleeve is called ??/  is it considered a type of ds.. confused  thanks for any input 

1/10/13  Dr. Reed(Guelph) HW 315  OPTI 284.8 (-17.2 )  SD 267.5   CW 181.8 GW 125

1)19.8 2)12.8  3)11.4 4)10 5)10.2 6(July) 9.0 7)6.8 8)     9)      10)      11)      12)

There is no duty we underrate so much as the duty of being happy. Robert Louis Stevenson.

MsBatt
on 1/23/15 7:09 am

No, if he's revising your RNY to just a Sleeve, it's not a DS. DS stands for Duodenal Switch, and the 'switch' part refers to the reconfiguring of the small intestine. This is the really difficult part of the procedure---I've heard sewing the duodenum compared to sewing wet tissue paper! You need to ask him to explain to you exactly what he plans to do, and have him draw pictures, too. If he's not a well-known, RNY-to-DS surgeon, I'd suggest getting a second opinion from someone who is.

airbender
on 1/17/15 7:15 am

MsBatt excellent post, it is sad to see this wrong information given out to patients over and over again.

If you have a specific question for me, PM me or I will not see it, as I don't check responses on the forums and don't have anything forwarded to my email.

airbender
on 1/17/15 7:10 am
On January 15, 2015 at 9:38 AM Pacific Time, Penny88 wrote:

It's me again... I just heard from the Tufts bariatric center that THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS RNY TO SLEEVE REVISION. I am sooo disappointed! The best they can do an endoscopy to see if there are leaks in my old rny pouch, then correct that situation later in the operating room. I got the feeling that it is rare to have a fixable problem this far out. ....SIGH.....

this is the problem with going to a facility that doesn't have the necessary skills to perform surgery, they say something like THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS RNY TO SLEEVE REVISION, that statement is completely incorrect, intentional or otherwise on the part of the surgical team etc. furthermore they should at least tell you that they don't offer it, but to say there is no such thing from a WLS facility is troublesome AT BEST.   what is correct is Boston will not do it, they don't have the skill set.  The closest rny to vsg surgeon to boston is NYC with Roslin.  Again people are revised 10+ years out from RNY you just have to find a competent surgeon and again, there is NO ONE in boston.  this is a complicated surgery but is done over and over again by a handful of rny to vsg(DS) surgeons.  Be very sure this is performed, just not in boston.

If you have a specific question for me, PM me or I will not see it, as I don't check responses on the forums and don't have anything forwarded to my email.

airbender
on 1/17/15 7:13 am
On January 14, 2015 at 7:30 PM Pacific Time, Penny88 wrote:

I'm new here. I had RNY in 2001, lost 80 of 100 lbs, then after 3years steadily gained back 90. I desperately want a gastric sleeve revision at Tufts in Boston, where I had the RN Y. Does anyone know how long the process from application to surgery is? Any information will be so appreciated!

no surgeon at Tufts, in MA, CT, RI, ME, etc to perform that surgery.  The closest is Roslin in NYC, be very very careful who you allow to perform this, this is not an easy surgery.

karenwhiting
on 1/18/15 5:37 am

I am scheduled for a revision on 2/23/15 which is going from an RNY 20 years ago to a sleeve/ds.  My doctor is amazing and has done this surgery many times successfully!  Unfortunately, I'm in Utah!  However, I would suggest you go to a doctor whom has been successful with this surgery and has MAJOR experience!  If not, call Rocky Mountain Bariatrics in Salt Lake City.  Dr. Simper is my doctor, but there are other doctors in this practice who also do this surgery!  Good luck in your journey!!!

Most Active