Hoping this works this time!

losing_the_band
on 1/6/15 11:17 pm
Revision on 08/27/15

I just made an appointment for a consultation with a surgeon to do a revision from the band to a sleeve.  I first had my lap-band surgery in 2007, and had really great success for a while, then had to have a revision in 2011 because I had a massive slip and dilated pouch.  I wanted to revise to the sleeve at that point, but my insurance would only cover a replacement.  I've not been able to get back to the "sweet spot" for fills, and I eventually had to just stop going for fills because I lived several hours away from the doctor and couldn't arrange my schedule to where I could go.  

I'm so frustrated, because now I'm almost back to where I started, in terms of weight.  I've switched insurance, and this one does cover revisions "when medically necessary or where complications have occurred," so I'm hoping that they'll approve the revision from band to sleeve.  If they don't, I guess we start over from the beginning and try to get it approved as a stand-alone procedure.  

Lap-Band 2007

Lap-Band Replaced 2011

APPROVED for revision to RNY! Awaiting surgery date!

Kathy S.
on 1/7/15 4:18 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

So sorry to hear all you have been through.  Please keep us posted on how you are doing!

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Bonnie1960
on 1/7/15 8:27 am

I was a 12 year Lap Band patient and was revised to a sleeve Dec 1st...I also had bad issues with my band.  Hope your insurance gets their act together! My surgeon did a "Peer to Peer" with both my Primary insurance and my Secondary, and got it approved 100%

Keep us posted!!

LAPBAND Surgery in Norman, Oklahoma on 12/3/2003

Vertical Sleeve  Revision Surgery  in Amarillo, Texas on  12/1/2014   

cemba5
on 1/8/15 9:07 am

I also am thinking about a revision from a lap band to a sleeve

pineview01
on 1/7/15 12:08 pm - Davison, MI

My insurance went to a once in a life time WLS willing I was trying to get my revision.  I did a verbal phone appeal.  The did admit one of the reason were so many bands were needing removal.  I asked why the didn't just stop approving the band.  They were just starting to cover the sleeve.  I did better than the average with the band but, with hard work both physically and mentally I have lost 100% plus of my extra weight and and now "normal" with the sleeve.

I did have to have the band removed for medical need.  Than I had to fight to get the sleeve.

Good luck to you.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active