BPD/DS reversal

Rosebud5532
on 1/1/15 4:37 pm

I had the BPD/DS 11 years ago in May. I lost a total of 200 pounds, but have regained 55 over the past 5 years. I am scheduled now for a reversal on January 26, 2015, I can't stand the bathroom issues anymore. I worry about bowel control as I age. I sometimes have "bad breath" (no it is not ketosis) and take creon 2-3 times a day to avoid it. This works and makes me think it is from malabsorption and not bacterial overgrowth. I worry some about gaining more weight, but I worry more about staying this way.

Does anyone know anyone who has had a reversal or revision? I am tempted to just reverse as much as possible.

Julie R.
on 1/2/15 10:48 am - Ludington, MI

Before you resort to revision surgery....have you taken an honest look at your dietary habits?  What is your carb consumotion like?

Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

MsBatt
on 1/2/15 12:56 pm

What sort of 'bathroom issues' are you having? There are a LOT of things to try before something so drastic as a reversal, especially since there's no guarantee that a reversal will 'cure' your current issues.

LaurajustanRN
on 7/20/15 11:13 am

Have you had your reversal?  I'm also considering having a reversal but for different reasons.  I'd be interested in knowing what doctor you found that was willing to reverse your BPD/DS?  Do you feel better? 

Rosebud5532
on 11/15/15 10:35 am

Sorry I haven't been here in months. I had my reversal in January of this year. My weight before the reversal had gotten up to 210-215. I put myself on clear liquids before the surgery and then lost weight afterwards down to 189. I did gain weight, but went a little crazy on carbs. My last MD appointment I was up to 219, so it was a 30 pound gain from my check up weight. 

I would like to lose 50-60 pounds over the next year . I don't regret it at all. The anxiety is GONE! I never worry about pooping in a public bathroom and don't carry spray with me. 

I do have an incisional hernia that will need to be repaired I am going t a surgeon in my home town instead of my WLS who is in Dayton. If. Can lose 1/2 of the 60 pounds I will try to get the tummy tuck. I am not looking for perfection. Just a great improvement.

I only take calcium and stool softeners. I had forgotten that before the BPD I dealt with constipation.

i went to my original surgeon (or one in his practice) for the reversal. According to the techs in the office people do get tired of the malabsorption and want a reversal. 

I lost around 210 pounds with my BPD/DS. I still have 120 lbs off. Had no clue about how I would deal with malabsorption. 

Good of luck with your plans.

LaurajustanRN
on 11/15/15 6:48 pm

I am so excited for you.  No more bathroom worries would be wonderful.  Do you feel better?  What kind of health problems did you have prior to your reversal surgery?  Do you have normal GI anatomy now except for the changes to the size of your stomach from the BPD/DS? 

I would like to get my BPD reversed?  My BPD surgeon died so I would probably have to go back to Mayo Clinic for follow up care.  I have chronic diarrhea with frequent trips to the bathroom, many days between 12-18 times/day.  I have chronic nausea treated with five different prescription medications which makes me sleepy.  I've had bowel obstructions, pancreatitis, internal herniations of the bowel, rectal fissures, surgery for those and a rectal abcess/fistula which also required surgery and drains.  I have intermittent ileus or slow motility in my small intestines which causes bloating and nausea and of course small bowel bacterial overgrowth that is off the charts.  I get terrible stomach cramps sometimes and my abdomen is always bloated and tender.  This is not fun, I want a normal life again.  Oh, yeah and deficiencies like crazy.  Vitamin D, Calcium, E and A and who knows what else.   Also have had two sets of 6 weeks of IV iron infusions. 

Definitely want to get this reversed but scared about how complicated the surgery is and about adjusting to how to eat afterwards.  So was it your BPD surgeon *****versed yours?  Did you see a dietitian to help you adjust your diet?  How complicated was your surgery?  Sorry for so many questions. 

Barbhen
on 6/23/16 11:53 am

Did you ever get the reversal?  I had my surgery in 2003 and lost so much weight that I was malapsorbing everything and have no vitamins in me.  Could't keep anything in.  Weight went from 280 to 102 and I was dying.  had a reversal in 2005. Would love to speak with someone else who had this reversed.

Barb

Ajbarn2000
on 3/25/19 12:05 pm

I'm waiting to be scheduled for a reversal for malabsorption. Have been on TPN since October 2018. Would like to talk to someone who has had it done. Wondering about how it was done and recovery and did it reverse your malabsorption.

Toyin12
on 5/30/20 1:16 pm
Revision on 10/22/19

Hello,

Have you had your DS reversed. I am considering reversing mine as I am having serious diarrhea issues, I am almost 50 pounds below my normal weight and cannot seems to be able to add weight back.
I am looking for guidance on the recovery period. Did this fix any bathroom or malabsorption issues?

i will appreciate a response.

Toyin12
on 5/30/20 1:20 pm
Revision on 10/22/19

Hello,

I am considering reversing my DS as I am having serious diarrhea issues, I am almost 50 pounds below my normal weight and cannot seems to be able to add weight back. I feel that my quality of life has been impacted. I worry about going to the bathroom in public. I can't stand the side effects.
I am looking for guidance on the recovery period. Did the reversal work for you? Did this fix any bathroom or malabsorption issues?

i will appreciate a response.
Thank you kindly

T.J

Most Active