Has anyone had a revision after having gastric by pass?

shona67
on 1/1/15 1:18 pm - Lancaster, TX

I had gastric by pass December 2005, the day of surgery I weighted 249, my lowest weight was only 189lbs, I was told due to my thyroids, however 9 years later I still barely eat, have acid reflux now more than ever, vomit a lot, told I had a seep in my pouch & it's inflamed. I Now weigh 216lbs & due to have a revision but I super scared because I was told that I will loose a whole lot of weight & that this surgery is more dangerous. Has anyone had the duodenal switch revision done if so please share your experience with me please.

Andie
on 1/3/15 4:58 pm - FRANKFORT, OH

It sounds like you are considering a revision from a RnY to a DS..you don't say who your surgeon is..I am also researching this revision and the comment that comes up most often is to find the right surgeon...meaning one with a lot of experience doing this surgery..it is said to be the most involved of any of the bypasses and the most dangerous, thus making it so important to go with an experienced surgeon...they have a very short list complied with something like 7 or so recommended surgeons scattered over the US.

shona67
on 1/4/15 1:39 am - Lancaster, TX

My Doctor which was Dr. Daryl Stewart passed in July, so I have been seeing Dr Wade Barker here in Dallas, however I al a nervous wreck just thinking about it!

Andie
on 1/4/15 3:10 am - FRANKFORT, OH

I also am very nervous about this surgery, as we should be...it is not to be taken lightly..I have not heard of Dr Baker and don't think that he is on that short list..have you asked him how many of these surgeries he has done?  Are you willing to travel?  I am considering Dr. Kesisian in Glendale, CA...and have spoken back and forth with their office a few times...they called and I was preapproved over the phone if I complete a 90 day supervised diet, which I plan to start this month.  I am even nervous about the travel aspect of this...its close to LA and my brothers son in law that works there was stabbed 7 times the wk before Thanksgiving and left for dead...he is recovering, but just saying there is always something to worry about..It also upsets me that my original surgeon has chosen not to do these surgeries, since I consider him a great surgeon.  I think that just the lack of available surgeons offering this procedure is also more reason to consider this very carefully.

Most Active