Please any and all information on a VSG to RNY revision, scheduled soon and scared!

suziemellis
on 12/17/14 10:51 am - gilroy, CA

Hi all...

I am scheduled for a revision of my vsg to rny in Feb 2015. I had the sleeve in 2009. Weighed 289 at my high point, 275 day of surgery. Got to 152 at a low point and I am 185 today. 5'3".

I am getting a conversion for reflux and continued weight loss. Please no responses telling me that the DS is a better option. I have reflux and if I get a revision it is to going to be the RNY...

My question is... has anyone had this operation? When did you have it and what was your start/end weights? Did you experience a lot more dumping and intolerance of foods? How was your recovery? 

Any complications or advice? I weigh 185. My goal is just 150 and I am worried about losing too much weight. Any thoughts on that?

Anyone who did it for reflux, did it cure your problems? 

If anyone could please give me any and allllllllllllll info they have on the operation, recovery, thoughts etc...

In case you are wondering why the weight regain... My history is this: I went from 275 to 152. I never really stayed there. Over the course of 5-6 months I got to about 170 and stayed there forever. I struggled a bit, I would fluctuate for about 4 years between 170 and 177. I had a baby 5 months ago. Tried my darndest to not gain too much. Gained about 40 lbs which is not too bad. So right now the extra 10-15 lbs I am carrying about my average 170-175 is baby weight. I have been trying to take it off, but found that the scale absolutely will not budge unless I eat 800 calories or less, which is very hard to do without appetite suppressants lol...

Anyway ok, any and all info please and thanks! 

Member Services
on 12/18/14 4:24 am - Irvine, CA

Hi Suzie,

Try posting this on the Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass Surgery Forum (RNY) forum too

She's Fabulous
on 12/19/14 1:42 am

Just had VSG to RNY on 12/5 (had band to VSG in 2013).  Everything is going well for  me.  7 lbs down in 10 days.  My HW was 265.  SW for band in 2007 was 222.  LW with band was 136.  SW for VSG in Jan 2013 was 159.  LW with VSG was 147.  SW for RNY 2 weeks ago was 172.  10 days later 165. I too suffered horrible reflux.  Best wishes on your journey. 

cindymissouri
on 12/22/14 3:42 pm
RNY on 01/06/15

Its nice to see this, i am scheduled on Jan 6.. hope my reflux goes away..  I also hope surgery goes well.. i know revision is riskier than the first surgery

Lost 34 lbs before surgery

kwashington09
on 12/23/14 3:42 am

Hi,

I had my Sleeve to RNY conversion on 9/8/14 so still a newbie to the RNY. My highest weight was 265 before the Sleeve my lowest was 155 I never did reach my goal weight of 140. Prior to having the RNY I was up to 228 and had severe acid reflux and my stomach was twisted. I too had a baby after the sleeve and gained 80lbs so not a goood idea. So far I have very few problems. I do not have a food intolorance or dumping. The hardest part for me was due to the fact that it was a revision my dr made me stay on liquids for 4 weeks instead of 2 but it was for the best. I still have acid reflux but its not nearly as bad and hopefully it will go away in a year. You dont have to worry about getting too small because the body has a way slowing down weight loss and with the revision my weight loss has not been nearly as fast. I am now at 178 so 50lbs in a little over 4 months and I am feeling great. I have had more stalls in weight loss than I did the first time but stick to the plan and it will be just fine. One other downer is gas but its solved as long as you take the Gas X. There are more vitamins to take and some days its hard to cordinate to get them all in. I had an issue with eating too fast and not chewing enough and it causing vomitting. I would say there is a few months of a learning curve. I am getting use to the new stomach and dont have any regrets.

cindymissouri
on 12/26/14 12:52 pm
RNY on 01/06/15

thanks for posting this.. my surgery is coming soon, Jan 6.. i think you have had great results..  I have more to lose than you and definitely hope the acid reflux goes away...    I have my gas x :)  is it hard to eat meat?  I have this weird feeling it will feel like chest pressure after reading that

Lost 34 lbs before surgery

kwashington09
on 12/27/14 6:20 am

Some Meat Is Easier To Eat Than Other. Just Take It Slow. I Started With Deli Meat Stay AwayFrom Hamburger Meat And Eat Meat In Your Soup Makes It Easier To digest. My Acid Reflux Is More OF A Burning In The Stomach Than Chest Pressure

shona67
on 1/1/15 12:50 pm - Lancaster, TX

Suziemellis, I too am schedule for a revision of my gastric by pass that I had from another doctor back in December 2005, I am very scared because I have never heard or known anyone that had to have a revision. My 1st weight was 249 before my gastric by pass, after gastric by pass my lowest was 189lbs now I'm @ 215lbs with lots of acid reflux, high blood pressure and a seep in my pouch. I am so very nervous because I don't know what to expect & I don't want to be too skinny as I never have before. I vomit a lot  too! 

cspangle
on 1/3/15 5:38 pm

Reflux is definitely something people have and I would love for you to connect to my sister who has feedback on this.  Check out http://www.carrielitten.com and http://www.powerofthin.info

Cheryl

Most Active