Outlet Repair

(deactivated member)
on 12/9/14 7:26 am

Insurance won't cover a revision (I tried a couple of years ago with a denial), but now there is a local surgeon doing endoscopic pouch and outlet revisions. I'd be self-pay, but it's only $4950. I had my initial consult today, complete with a barium swallow. What the surgeon said is that my pouch is long and narrow, probably nothing he could do with that. HOWEVER, and this is the best part, he said my outlet is the size of my small intestine.

MEANING: He can help me! 

I guess that explains why I can eat a footlong Subway sandwich, why I'm hungry a couple of hours after eating. Why I never got out of the 200s. Why I'm up 60lbs. Just knowing it's not all in my head is such a relief!

Anyone else have this type of revision? How did it work out?

Hislady
on 12/10/14 10:38 am - Vancouver, WA

If it is the ROSE or Stoma phyx (sp) procedures they are pretty much useless. If it is the Apollo overstitch it may be worth it. Surgeons are watching this one and thinking it will be more successful. You might want to wait awhile until they get some results with this newer procedure.

(deactivated member)
on 12/12/14 8:18 am

It's the overstitch, and I've seen that some of the surgeon's patients are doing really well with it. I had an EGD today and my stoma is 5cm, 5 times the proper size. I'm not looking for a miracle this time around, I'm just hoping that a smaller stoma will allow me to focus on protein and vegetables without feeling hungry all the time. Bread and pasta apparently gum up the stoma and leaves me fuller longer, so that's what I rely on. This may or may not work, but anything is better than being 286 lbs :)

Julie B.
on 12/14/14 2:48 pm - Evansville, IN

What size should the outlet be? I had one Dr say mine was completely transacted and another say it was normal at 2cns.  

ellen A.
on 12/15/14 9:50 pm - bronx, NY

The outlet should be 5mm. about the size of an m & m. Mine was 2 cm. it was made that large. I just had Apollo done 2 weeks ago. My stoma is now 5mm. I'm still on a liquid diet. Starting pureed on Saturday.

Ellen

nina144
on 1/2/15 2:53 am

Hi

i han this procedure 12/27. I am adding cottage cheese. Can u please tell me what your diet consist of. As I'm on liquid to but am hungry. Also. No loss for 4 days. A bit concerned. Any info will be much appreciated. Hard to find support here on Appolo stitching. 

Thank u

my email is

[email protected]

ellen A.
on 12/15/14 9:54 pm - bronx, NY

The success of the procedure depends on you following directions EXACTLY.. Eating solids or even pureed too soon can ruin the healing process and render the procedure pretty much useless. My doctor keeps his patients on full liquids a week longer than most and on pureed 2 weeks longer. He says it helps with the scarring that must take place over the sutures. Good luck!

Ellen

(deactivated member)
on 12/18/14 8:57 pm

Ellen, how are you feeling? Is it easier this time around to do the liquids? Did you have any issues with the surgery itself? And of course, the elephant in the room...how is the weight loss going?

I go 12/23 for a follow up to my EGD to discuss a plan. I'm not sure what happens after that, but I guess I will find out then.

MichelleKC
on 2/11/15 6:59 am - KC, MO

Did insurance cover this?

MichelleKC
on 2/11/15 6:55 am - KC, MO

Does insurance cover this?

Most Active