Revision from RNY to Lap Band

heathercross
on 1/1/15 6:46 am - New York, NY

Why did you gain the weight back?  Have you had an appt with your old surgeon or a new one?  First step would be to do that and get a CT Scan of your abdomen as well as an endoscopy.

babybee3184
on 1/7/15 11:26 am - Centerville, OH

I had the band over bypass on 9/13. Have had success losing weight regain and minimal issues up until two months ago. Always kept my band on looser side or green side, never too tight. Maybe vomited 2-3 times in 1.5 years and had a stuck episode maybe 4-5 times as I was learning and adjusting to the new tool.  Had a large unfill four months ago due to pain with swallowing. I was pregnant at the time. It went away and no pain or issues. Had the remainder of the fill removed a month ago bc had been having acid reflux, and left back pain (referred stomach pain) of a cramping and stabbing knife like nature. X-Ray of band at local hospital said I had a "small slip". Went to hospital where my surgeon is and had barium swallow and they said everything looked "perfect" and no slip at all. Had endoscope a few days ago and dr. said I have "tortuous" (windy, curvy) esophagus, a hernia, and a very inflamed and red esophagus. Endo Dr. Said he doesn't think its band related but unsure. Well, my esophagus was straight before the band and I never had reflux before the band or an inflamed esophagus. So, I really think it's the band that caused this. Also having some tenderness in stomach and at port. Scheduled appt. on Tuesday with my surgeon so I can talk with him about my concerns. I want my band out. This is just my experience. I think the band was a great tool for me when I had no issues and helped me lose the weight regain. But at this point, I am just ready to be out of this discomfort. It's not worth it for me. I wanted the BOB bc DS seemed too extreme for me (I was afraid of the risks as a revision) and my BMI wasn't high enough. I hope whatever you choose, you have much health and success. When I look up my issues a lot of regular bandster have had the same issues as me and needed a removal. ---I haven't had any restriction for four months but haven't gained back a pound. Maintain within three pounds just by eating clean and following "the rules". I think I can do this on my own and isn't worth the pain for me if the band is causing this. Going to have a second opinion before I do anything though. I think you can still be healthy and successful with the BOB, I've just been very sensitive to the procedure. 

pineview01
on 1/7/15 12:00 pm - Davison, MI

It blows my mind that he would say the band didn't cause the issues.  It causes those issues every day in banded folks.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

babybee3184
on 1/7/15 1:25 pm - Centerville, OH

I agree. I haven't spoken with my surgeon yet so I hope he doesn't have the same reaction. This was the Endo dr. That said he didn't think it was band related so I am hoping he is just clueless and my surgeon won't have the same outlook. My surgeon's nurse even called me and asked me if I wanted to cancel my appt. With the surgeon bc the report said I have an issue with my esophagus and not my band. I just find it hard to believe that no one else has had this issue in their practice. She acted like I was telling her new information but said she understood and I had legitimate concerns. This surgeon is a teaching surgeon and has taught a lot of the conferences regarding the band over bypass procedure. I will see what next week brings. I'm glad I am not the only one that thinks it's strange. 

pineview01
on 1/8/15 12:34 am - Davison, MI

I must have had a better Endo dr.  The first time they unfilled me so he could do the test after I "relaxed" six week.  My Endo said at that time I should get the band removed as he had seen the band causing this issue so much.  My SURGEON didn't feel I needed the band out at the time so I went thru two more total unfills and much pain, vomiting before they figured out this was happening more than the stated info.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active