Revision from RNY to Lap Band

Jennifer R.
on 12/5/14 1:34 am - Canton, TX
RNY on 09/08/06 with

I spoke with my surgeon on Wednesday and he wants to do a Lap Band on my RNY. Anyone have experience?

MsBatt
on 12/5/14 4:39 am

This procedure is called a BOB---Band Over Bypass. There are a few people here who've had this and done well. Heather Cross is the only one I can think of at the moment.

The Band is now known to NOT be a life-time device. It has a lifespan of about ten years, so if you do choose this revision option, keep in mind the idea that in about ten years (or less!) you're going to have to have another surgery of some sort.

Before you do anything, research the option of revising your RNY to a Duodenal Switch. The DS has the very best long-term, maintained weight-loss stats, period.

airbender
on 12/5/14 9:32 am

I agree with MsBatts and explore all your options to make sure you know what is out there.  I dont agree one surgery fits all, so it is best to explore all, and make a decision based on what is out there and what you are willing to do PO.  MsBatts just one correction, the lap band was always a temporary implant, it is unusual for people to get 10 years out of it you are correct,  and that is stated in the adverse events section, that I believe I am the only one *****ads.

“the LAP-BAND® is not a lifetime product” Lap-band AP Adjustable Gastric Banding System with OMNIFORM Design Directions for Use (DFU) Rx Only.

MsBatt
on 12/13/14 9:37 am

I thought that when they first came out, the manufacturer was telling people it was a life-time product. My bad. (*grin*)

KattattaK
on 12/18/14 8:14 am

MsBatt, actually, that's exactly what I (along with others I know who had the lap band about the same time I had mine) was told. We were told that the device was meant to permanently stay in our bodies until our deaths and that we could expect to be buried with it, unless complications were to arise. I can't wait to have this piece of crap removed from my body!!!

MamaofTwins
on 12/23/14 5:04 am

I was told the same thing it is a life time thing , I hate it and want it removed so much 

KattattaK
on 12/23/14 10:04 am

Yes, mine was checked about a month ago and it's torn/eroded in two different places. I haven't had a fill since 2009 so I have no idea how this happend. I had a doc appt for my physical today with my pcp and she was commenting on how the band has let so many people down and should never have been encouraged as a lifetime weight loss tool. She also spoke about how there arent many surgeons here in southern Cali doing them anymore because so many are being removed so often. She gently encouraged me to get a revision to the sleeve. I told her how afraid I am of any type of wls at this point. I have an appt with my weight loss surgeon next Monday to talk about getting this thing out if me. I have so much anxiety!!! I hope you are able to have yours removed! 

Hislady
on 12/6/14 8:20 am - Vancouver, WA

Just say NO to anything to do with a band they are horrible!!

heathercross
on 12/13/14 8:06 am - New York, NY

I'm Heather Cross.  Ask away :-) I had my RNY in August 2002 and my BOB in June of 2011.

19rkh74
on 12/28/14 6:22 am

I had RNY in July 2003 and want some type of revision as I've gained about 50 lbs back already and my joints are all starting to hurt again and other medical issues. 

Most Active