Pouch Revision only...

Misty M.
on 11/25/14 4:14 pm - Renton, WA

Hi All!

I am wondering if anyone out there has had only a pouch revision? I have chosen to keep my proximal RNY, just make my pouch smaller (it was made too large in the first place). I have had a whole lot of stuff that has contributed to my weight gain (about half of what I originally lost) primarily as a result of a car wreck, but was immensely successful after the first procedure. I've tried supervised weight loss for almost 10 months, and lost about 10-12 lbs, but can't seem to lose more. I thought something might be wrong, since I am constantly hungry, so I met with a good surgeon. After an endoscopy, they found that I have a very large pouch that is not stretched out. I looked into both a DS and a distal RNY as well, but don't feel like those are appropriate for me, and a lap band is completely out of the question for me. So, just making the pouch smaller (like 10-15 cc's smaller).

Any feedback would be awesome!!

-MM

Zee Starrlite
on 11/26/14 1:39 am, edited 11/26/14 1:45 am

Hey Misty!

I briefly looked at your profile and see you have Hashimoto's - but you have conceived successfully so not sure what your status is with that.   I do know that it is not a easy or fast diagnosis. There is a DSer named Melissa Mermaid who has this as well and she wrote/spoke on it al ot years ago.  

I know you believe the DS is too drastic but I don't believe restriction alone will correct your weight.  You too speak of blood sugar issues and IBS - you may want to look into the DS with different eyes . . . maybe???  Because you say your pouch hasn't stretched - it was just made too big . . . . but you lost 110lbs with that big pouch and the  . . .  2 years of Malabsorption which is no more with the RNY.  The question you need to ask yourself is "can I lose weight with diet alone"? (because that is what you will get with your pouch made smaller) During your 10 month supervised diet were you doing enough to lose more but did not?

Best,

Layla

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Misty M.
on 12/4/14 3:49 pm - Renton, WA

Hi! Thanks for your response! Unfortunately, I am not a candidate for DS- there isn't actually enough anatomy for me to choose that procedure without a MUCH higher risk rate. I would rather have less risks, and that procedure would have far too many side effects for me to feel comfortable with it. I've gained a little under half of what I lost, but it has been several years, so the clinic support team as well as the surgeon believe that I shouldn't struggle too much after revision- this time I would actually have support! When I had the original one, it wasn't something the surgeon really pushed.

However, I did take your comments to heart, and went to them with concerns of other options again. After much thought, the surgeon suggested I consider, not so much an invasive revision, but the tightening of my stoma. He indicated it would be able to help me drop the excess weight I've gained, along with diet and working out of course, but it was much lower risk, as it is done endoscopically using an overstitch machine. I hadn't thought I was eligible for such a procedure, but since the anatomy is clean, clear, and in good working order, it is an option I feel comfortable with. 

Thanks for your feedback!!

-MM

Misty        

Zee Starrlite
on 12/5/14 4:02 am

Good luck with whatever you do Misty.  I mentioned the H. because I hear it is very difficult with gaining and losing weight.

All the very best for you.

L

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

ShebasMom
on 11/26/14 11:49 am
Revision on 07/05/16

I agree with above post.  If you didn't lose much weight on supervised diet, you won't lose much with just your pouch made smaller. Your reminent stomach still has the area where the gretin hormone is produced, so you will continue to be constantly hungry. If I didn't have severe reflux, I would be considering the DS instead of a distal rny. 

Most Active