Help with RNY question

beckymay26
on 11/6/14 10:42 am - Canada

Hi everyone , 

I have gone to the Alberta Revision Centre in Edmonton in regards to having a revision for my RNY that I had in 2002 , I had lost 130lbs an have gained back 140lbs :( , nothing has changed with my diet except I can eat way more then I should be able too. But the question I have is I had a barium swallow and it the results were , 1 cm opening leading into a 3cm x 4cm pouch , then that pouch leaks into a 4cm x 5 cm pouch , now that is the confusion I am having , the RNY is suppose to be a straight line into the bypassed intestine the nurse I seen today had no idea what was done and thinks this is the reason for my weight gain where I basically have 2 pouches and the second is acting like my original stomach , has anyone ever had to deal with this I am thinking the doctor who did my surgery maybe didn't know fully what he was doing ? Or the red flags when I called him came up that he can only help me now if I pay $17,000 for a lap band :/ , which I was told today that with a RNY a band should have no where to go !? Was this purposely done soni would have to have the second surgery? I am so confused right now along with being very upset about this whole matter 

Mommy2-5
on 11/9/14 2:59 am - Cleburne, TX

I don't know if I can really help much, but I will offer you my info.  I had an egd and a barium swallow done in the last two weeks.  New surgeon and radiologist both said they have no idea what was done and what went wrong, but I too have a very small pouch and a fully functioning stomach with a "track" somehow joining the two.  I lost over 100 pounds to begin with and have gain all but about 10 pounds back.  I am in the process of getting insurance approval and a surgery date for a revision.  New surgeon says there is no way right now to tell if the original surgeon did something wrong or if an infection or something caused this.  I was told I did not stretch my pouch and the doctor seems a little surprised that I lost as much weight as I did originally.  So, I really didn't offer any help but just know there are others with 2 stomachs out there as well, lol.  Best of luck to you.

MsBatt
on 11/10/14 12:27 am

Am I understanding correctly that you will be a self-pay patient? If so, there's no WAY I'd accept a Band! Research going to Mexico to Dr. Ungson and get revised to a true DS. It will cost about the same, and give you the form of WLS with the very best long-term, maintained weight-loss stats, period.

Most Active