Hair loss with revision

ohlittleone
on 11/9/14 7:54 am
with

I'm looking for a little insight from those of you who have previously had a RNY and are planning to have a revision (band over bypass).  I am concerned about hair loss.  When I had RNY 9 years ago, it was the best decision I have ever made.  Surgery went well, I felt much better than I expected, and lost 80 pounds in just the first 3 months.  Then the hair loss came.

In a month's time, I lost about 1/3 of my hair.  This was devastating.  Not only was my hair so thin, but my hairline actually receded back about an inch and a half.  I cut my long hair to shoulder length, only to cut it short immediately after that.  It never completely regenerated to where it originally was before surgery but is close.  I have a date in 16 days for surgery and I'm finding this to be a very emotional time thinking about losing my hair again.

Have you experienced substantial hair loss with your revision surgery?  

Hislady
on 11/9/14 1:23 pm - Vancouver, WA

I haven't had a revision but I can tell you what I have read repeatedly here on OH and that is that hair loss right after surgery is from something called tellogen effluvian. That is hair loss from trauma like surgery so it kinda depends on how healthy you are and how well your body handles stress. It doesn't always happen but there is no way to tell if it will or not so no point in worrying. It will either happen or it won't so don't stress on it. Good luck!

MsBatt
on 11/10/14 12:24 am

I've not had a revision, but I've had general anesthesia three times in my life. Each time I went through telogen effluvium, which is caused by the stress of surgery/anesthesia. Google it---that will help you understand the process and why there's nothing you can do to prevent it. If it's going to happen, it's going to happen.

Most Active