RNY to BP DS

Babsli
on 11/8/14 7:43 am
DS on 11/25/14

Has anyone had a revision to a BP DS?  I am scheduled for the 25th November, and I am excited, but I am super worried, I FAILED before, I got pregnant and then gained all my weight back, and then some.  I want to be as successful as possible.  It is also open because my first was open so the doc said he has to do it the same way.  

Nervous, 

Barb 

Amy R.
on 11/8/14 5:17 pm

I don't have any answers because I didn't have a revision or a DS, but I think you'll get more feedback if you post this over on the DS Forum.  Here is the link: DS Forum

There are folks who've revised to DS, but I believe the correct choice of surgeon is vital.  The folks over in that forum have all the experience and even have recommendations for certain surgeons (or at least they used to).

This Revision Forum that we're on right now doesn't get too much traffic, but over there you'll likely find many willing to help.  Good luck.

amy

MsBatt
on 11/9/14 1:51 am

Just call it a DS. The old BPD was more nearly a large-pouch, extremely distal RNY, and the DS is only called a BPD/DS to sooth some egos. A more correct name would be VSG/DS, because the surgery we call a Duodenal Switch has a Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy as the stomach portion. 'Duodenal Switch' actually refers to the intestinal bypass portion.

Now---what surgery did you have the first time, that you're being revised from? Who is your revision surgeon?

Babsli
on 11/9/14 2:46 pm
DS on 11/25/14

My original AL surgery was a rny in 1995, so quite a while ago.  My surgeon is Dr Preston Carter.  So, you had a ds? Was it your first surgery? Or a revision? 

MsBatt
on 11/10/14 12:19 am

I haven't heard of Dr. Carter, but I see he's at Madigan. Always good to hear of a new DS surgeon! I would ask him how many RNY-to-DS revisions he's done---it's THE most complicated revision surgery out there. I'd also ask him exactly what he plans to do with your pouch. Will he reattach it to your remnant stomach, then do a Sleeve? If he says no, then you're NOT going to be getting a DS.

My DS was a 'virgin' surgery, almost 11 years ago. I hang out here on the Revision board some, just to make sure people looking for a revision are aware of the DS.

Most Active