Joining the band to sleeve crowd

pineview01
on 10/15/14 12:22 pm - Davison, MI

Congratulations on getting your band removed.  Just one word of advise people can and have gained back ALL their weight with ALL the WLS.  If you aren't committed to work with your tool for life, all can fail.

I went band to sleeve.  My highest was 280 and I was able to get to 198/199 for about a week.  I regained with the band to pre surgery weight.  Than with unfilling and hard work I was able to lose to get healthy for the sleeve surgery.

My daughter is 4 year out and lost 160 with a 30 pound rebound and has held there.  My sister is 3 years out, lost less about 100 with a 10 pound rebond.

I have set my goal lower three times with the revision.  My first I just wanted to get to my lowest with the band, under 200 and hold.  Than I set it to 175 to allow for that "20 pound rebound" My third goal was normal bmi at 155.  I am in my late 50's a revision and am now 12/3 pound below goal and "Normal"

The sleeve took care of all the issues I had with the band.  It got rid of my band induced reflux and can eat a little of anything with out throwing up.  I can eat a healthy diet now and am still lossing a pound here and there at 1.75 years out with the sleeve.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

roseygirl
on 10/18/14 5:02 am

I am only two weeks out and love the sleeve. I hated the band and didnt lose at all with it. Had it removed in 2012 and gained about 40 lbs til vsg surgery on 1002/2014.

even at 2 weeks out if I wasn'****ching what I ate and was eating carby foods and sugary foods I could get my calories way over a thousand a day. Eating a lot of chicken salad with mayo and tuna salad with mayo I'm heading between 600 and 800 calories a day. I eat 4 ounces every 3 hours dietitians instructions and no carbs, no grains, no sugar including sugar free stuff. Just eating protein every 3 hours and 4 ounces worth. I can see how if you don't measure and try and follow the plan permanently you will gain right back.

VSG Surgery 10/02/14

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Thundergrrrl
on 10/23/14 1:23 pm

Hi Heather,

We are in really similar positions. I was 273, down to 180 with my band, but due to complications and having to get it unfilled, I'm back up to 220 and looking into a revision. 

I also am super active and love to work out and do lots of different active stuff. Probably why I'm only at 220 and not 300 already ;)

Anyway, good luck and I know you will have success. I look forward to hearing how it goes for you. 

Highest Wt: 274 / LAP-Band Low: 180 / Sleeved at 233 / Goal: 160!

pineview01
on 10/26/14 5:43 am - Davison, MI
On October 23, 2014 at 8:23 PM Pacific Time, Thundergrrrl wrote:

Hi Heather,

We are in really similar positions. I was 273, down to 180 with my band, but due to complications and having to get it unfilled, I'm back up to 220 and looking into a revision. 

I also am super active and love to work out and do lots of different active stuff. Probably why I'm only at 220 and not 300 already ;)

Anyway, good luck and I know you will have success. I look forward to hearing how it goes for you. 

Some people don't understand this.  I worked like crazy and still got to 280 pre band.  Even though I gained back to 260, 3 pounds more than surgery weight.  What they need to understand that at the rate I was gaining pre band, I would have hit 300+  If I didn't start the WLS journey in 08 I am sure I would have been close to 400 like my Sister & Daughter before WLS.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active